The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release capsules
Generic Name: carbetapentane/guaifenesin (car-bay-ta-PEN-tane/gwye-FEN-eh-sin)
Brand Name: Dynex VR
Carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release capsules are used for:
Relieving unproductive cough and reducing mucus in the chest due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules are a cough suppressant and expectorant combination. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex. The expectorant works by thinning mucus (phlegm) in the lungs, making it less sticky and easier to cough up. This makes coughs more productive.
Do NOT use carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic cough due to smoking, asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema, or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
- if you have a history of heart problems, high blood pressure, prostate problems, an overactive thyroid, diabetes, or glaucoma
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines. However, no specific interactions with carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release capsules:
Use carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules may be taken with or without food.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Swallow carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules.
Important safety information:
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules may cause drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules. Using carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules. Carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules are not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules during pregnancy. It is unknown if carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules are excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of carbetapentane/ guaifenesin sustained-release capsules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; upset stomach.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include restlessness; seizures; severe agitation.Proper storage of carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules:
Store carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about carbetapentane/guaifenesin sustained-release capsules. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.