Carbetapentane/ guaifenesin/ phenylephrine sustained-release tablets
Generic Name: carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine (car-beta-PEN-tane/gwye-FEN-e-sin/FEN-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Carbatab-12 and Oratuss 12
Carbetapentane/ guaifenesin/ phenylephrine sustained-release tablets are used for:
Relieving congestion, cough, and throat and airway irritation due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets are a decongestant, cough suppressant, and expectorant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages, loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest, and making coughs more productive. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use carbetapentane/ guaifenesin/ phenylephrine sustained-release tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets
- you have an overactive thyroid, uncontrolled high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, or other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease)
- you take droxidopa or have taken furazolidone a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using carbetapentane/ guaifenesin/ phenylephrine sustained-release tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, an enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, blood vessel problems, adrenal gland problems (eg, pheochromocytoma), mental or mood problems (eg, depression), trouble sleeping, an overactive thyroid, seizures, or stroke
- if you have a chronic cough, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung problems (eg, asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
- if you are in poor health or are very overweight
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-o-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets's side effects
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Alpha-blockers (eg, prazosin) or bromocriptine because the risk of its side effects may be increased by carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, medicines for high blood pressure, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use carbetapentane/ guaifenesin/ phenylephrine sustained-release tablets:
Use carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Swallow carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing. Some brands of carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets may be broken in half before taking. If you have difficulty swallowing the whole tablet, ask your pharmacist if your brand of medicine may be broken in half.
- Take carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Drink plenty of water while taking carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets.
- If you miss a dose of carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets.
Important safety information:
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take appetite suppressants while you are taking carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets without checking with your doctor.
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets has phenylephrine, carbetapentane, and guaifenesin in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has phenylephrine, carbetapentane, or guaifenesin in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, rash, headache, or sore throat, contact your heath care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctors and lab personnel know that you are taking carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets.
Possible side effects of carbetapentane/ guaifenesin/ phenylephrine sustained-release tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; irritability; nausea; stomach upset; trouble sleeping.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; mental or mood changes (eg, anxiety, nervousness); paleness; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include bizarre behavior; blurred vision; confusion; difficulty urinating; fast or shallow breathing; hallucinations; paleness; restlessness; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets:
Store carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine sustained-release tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations
- Carbetapentane/guaifenesin/phenylephrine solution
- Phenylephrine/carbetapentane/guaifenesin capsules
- Carbetapentane, guaifenesin, and phenylephrine