Generic Name: artificial saliva
Brand Name: Caphosol
Caphosol solution is used for:
Relieving dry mouth and throat.
Caphosol solution is an artificial saliva. It works by moistening and lubricating the mouth and throat.
Do NOT use Caphosol solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Caphosol solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Caphosol solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Caphosol solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Caphosol solution. However, no specific interactions with Caphosol solution are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Caphosol solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Caphosol solution:
Use Caphosol solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Mix 1 blue ( Caphosol A) and 1 clear ampule ( Caphosol B) in a clean glass. Swish half of the solution thoroughly in your mouth for 1 minute, then spit out. Repeat with the remaining half of the solution, then spit out. Use immediately after mixing the ampules.
- Do not eat or drink for at least 15 minutes after use.
- Do not use if the seal of the container is broken or the container shows signs of leakage or damage.
- If you miss taking a dose of Caphosol solution for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Caphosol solution.
Important safety information:
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Caphosol solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Caphosol solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Caphosol solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Caphosol solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Caphosol solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Caphosol solution:
Store Caphosol solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not refrigerate. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Caphosol solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Caphosol solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Caphosol solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Caphosol solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Caphosol solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Caphosol solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Caphosol solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.