The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: Calcitonin-Salmon Nasal Spray (KAL si TOE nin SA mon)
Brand Name: Fortical, Miacalcin
Uses of Calcitonin-Salmon Nasal Spray:
- It is used to treat soft, brittle bones (osteoporosis) in women after change of life.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Calcitonin-Salmon Nasal Spray?
- If you have an allergy to calcitonin or any other part of calcitonin-salmon nasal spray.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have low calcium levels.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take calcitonin-salmon nasal spray with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Calcitonin-Salmon Nasal Spray?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Very bad and sometimes deadly allergic side effects have rarely happened. Talk with your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Follow the diet and workout plan that your doctor told you about.
- Take calcium and vitamin D as you were told by your doctor.
- This medicine may add to the chance of getting some types of cancer. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are taking lithium, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while you are taking it with calcitonin-salmon nasal spray.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using calcitonin-salmon nasal spray while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Calcitonin-Salmon Nasal Spray) best taken?
Use this medicine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the nose only.
- Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- Prime pump before first use.
- Blow your nose before use.
- Change nostrils every day.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of low calcium levels like muscle cramps or spasms, numbness and tingling, or seizures.
- Bad nose irritation.
- Nose sores.
What are some other side effects of Calcitonin-Salmon Nasal Spray?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Nose irritation.
- Runny nose.
- Back pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Calcitonin-Salmon Nasal Spray?
- Store unopened nose spray bottle in a refrigerator until ready to use. Do not freeze.
- After opening, store upright at room temperature. Follow how long you can use calcitonin-salmon nasal spray as you have been told by your doctor or read the package insert.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take calcitonin-salmon nasal spray or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to calcitonin-salmon nasal spray. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
Review Date: October 4, 2017
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about calcitonin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 5 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: calcitonin
- Calcitonin injection
- Calcitonin nasal
- Calcitonin Nasal Spray
- Calcitonin Injection (Advanced Reading)
- Calcitonin Nasal (Advanced Reading)