Generic Name: Caffeine Oral Solution (cah FEEN)
Brand Name: Cafcit
Medically reviewed on April 4, 2018.
Uses of Cafcit:
- It is used to treat premature infants who stop breathing for short periods of time.
- It is used to make your child more alert.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Cafcit?
- If your child has an allergy to Cafcit (caffeine oral solution) or any part of Cafcit (caffeine oral solution).
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If your child is taking theophylline.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Cafcit (caffeine oral solution).
Tell the doctor and pharmacist about all of your child's drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for your child to take Cafcit (caffeine oral solution) with all of his/her drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug your child takes without checking with the doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Cafcit?
- Tell all of your child's health care providers that your child is taking Cafcit (caffeine oral solution). This includes your child's doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- A very bad stomach or bowel problem called necrotizing enterocolitis has happened with Cafcit (caffeine oral solution). Sometimes, this has been deadly. Talk with the doctor.
How is this medicine (Cafcit) best taken?
Give Cafcit (caffeine oral solution) as ordered by your child's doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Follow how to give Cafcit (caffeine oral solution) as you have been told by your child's doctor. Do not give more than you were told to give.
- Give Cafcit (caffeine oral solution) at the same time of day.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Cafcit (caffeine oral solution). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Cafcit (caffeine oral solution).
- Throw away any part of opened vial not used after use.
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy, leaking, or has particles.
- Do not use if solution changes color.
- Those who have feeding tubes may use Cafcit (caffeine oral solution). Use as you have been told. Flush the feeding tube after Cafcit (caffeine oral solution) is given.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Give a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your child's next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your child's normal time.
- Do not give 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your child's doctor or get medical help right away if your child has any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Throwing up.
- Swelling of belly.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Feeling sluggish.
- Passing urine more often.
What are some other side effects of Cafcit?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your child's doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother your child or do not go away:
- Problems with feeding.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your child's doctor. Call your child's doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Cafcit?
- Store in the original container at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your child's symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child's doctor.
- Do not share your child's drug with others and do not give anyone else's drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child's drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child's doctor.
- Talk with your child's doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about Cafcit (caffeine oral solution), please talk with your child's doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Cafcit (caffeine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: CNS stimulants