Generic Name: caffeine (cah-FEEN)
Brand Name: Cafcit
Cafcit solution is used for:
Treating certain breathing problems in certain premature infants.
Cafcit solution is a methylxanthine. It works by stimulating the breathing center of the brain and by widening certain airways in the lungs which helps to improve breathing.
Do NOT use Cafcit solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cafcit solution
- you are also taking theophylline
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cafcit solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cafcit solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems, heart problems, kidney or liver problems, seizures, or diabetes
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cafcit solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cimetidine, ketoconazole, and theophylline because side effects of Cafcit solution may be increased
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital) or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because effectiveness of Cafcit solution may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cafcit solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cafcit solution:
Use Cafcit solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cafcit solution may be taken with or without food.
- Cafcit solution comes with an additional patient leaflet. Read it carefully and reread it each time you get Cafcit solution refilled.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose. Each vial is for one-time use only. Throw away any unused medicine after giving the dose.
- If Cafcit solution contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- If you miss a dose of Cafcit solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cafcit solution.
Important safety information:
- If symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor. Do not use more of Cafcit solution than prescribed without talking with your doctor.
- LAB TESTS, including lung function and blood glucose, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Cafcit solution, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Cafcit solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Cafcit solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Cafcit solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Cafcit solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; changes in the amount of urine; seizures; stomach pain or swelling; unusual tiredness (lethargy); vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fever; rapid breathing; seizures; spastic muscle movements; tremor; unusual jaw and lip movements; vomiting.Proper storage of Cafcit solution:
Store Cafcit solution at room temperature, between 59 to 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cafcit solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cafcit solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cafcit solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Cafcit solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Cafcit solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Cafcit solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Cafcit solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Cafcit (caffeine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: CNS stimulants