Generic Name: buspirone (bue-SPYE-rone)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
BuSpar is used for:
The short-term relief of anxiety symptoms. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
BuSpar is an antianxiety agent. It is not known exactly how BuSpar works to relieve anxiety. It is believed that it may react with specific chemical receptors in the brain.
Do NOT use BuSpar if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in BuSpar
- you have severe liver or kidney problems
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
- you are taking furazolidone, linezolid, or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using BuSpar:
Some medical conditions may interact with BuSpar. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of alcoholism or substance abuse, or have liver or kidney problems
- if you have a history of suicidal thoughts or actions
- if you are taking a medicine that contains methylene blue
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with BuSpar. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone, linezolid , or MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because serious side effects, including severe high blood pressure, may occur
- Azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), diltiazem, HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), macrolides and ketolides (eg, erythromycin, azithromycin), nefazodone, or verapamil because they may increase the risk of BuSpar's side effects
- Carbamazepine, dexamethasone, phenobarbital, phenytoin, or rifampin because they may decrease BuSpar's effectiveness
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of its side effects may be increased by BuSpar
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if BuSpar may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use BuSpar:
Use BuSpar as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take BuSpar by mouth. Take it consistently, either always with food or always without food.
- Avoid large amounts of grapefruit or grapefruit juice while you are taking BuSpar. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions about including grapefruit or grapefruit juice in your diet while you are taking BuSpar.
- BuSpar is designed to be taken every day to prevent anxiety symptoms. It does not work if it is only taken as needed or only when anxiety symptoms are present.
- Continue to take BuSpar even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of BuSpar, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use BuSpar.
Important safety information:
- BuSpar may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use BuSpar with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Lab tests, including liver function, kidney function, and complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use BuSpar. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- BuSpar should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using BuSpar while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking BuSpar.
Possible side effects of BuSpar:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; lightheadedness; nausea.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); abnormal muscle movements; chest pain; fainting; fever; irregular heartbeat; loss of coordination; memory problems; new or worsening mental, mood, or personality changes (eg, anger, hostility, confusion, depression); seizures; suicidal thoughts or actions; unusual restlessness; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include decreased pupil size; extreme dizziness or drowsiness; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of BuSpar:
Store BuSpar at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Avoid storing at temperatures above 86 degrees F (30 degrees C). Keep BuSpar out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about BuSpar, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- BuSpar is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take BuSpar or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about BuSpar. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to BuSpar. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using BuSpar.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about BuSpar (buspirone)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 337 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: miscellaneous anxiolytics, sedatives and hypnotics
Other brands: Vanspar