The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
BroveX PB DM
Generic Name: phenylephrine/brompheniramine/dextromethorphan (FEN-il-EF-rin/BROME-fen-IR-a-meen/DEX-troe-meth-OR-fan)
Brand Name: BroveX PB DM
BroveX PB DM is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
BroveX PB DM is a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex to reduce a dry cough.
Do NOT use BroveX PB DM if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in BroveX PB DM
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, severe heart problems, stomach ulcer, or narrow-angle glaucoma
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using BroveX PB DM:
Some medical conditions may interact with BroveX PB DM. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your stomach, bladder, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; mental or mood problems (eg, depression); or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you are in poor health or if you are very overweight
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with BroveX PB DM. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of BroveX PB DM's side effects
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by BroveX PB DM
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by BroveX PB DM
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if BroveX PB DM may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use BroveX PB DM:
Use BroveX PB DM as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take BroveX PB DM by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take BroveX PB DM with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Drink plenty of water while taking BroveX PB DM.
- If you miss a dose of BroveX PB DM, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use BroveX PB DM.
Important safety information:
- BroveX PB DM may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use BroveX PB DM with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using BroveX PB DM; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you take BroveX PB DM without checking with your doctor.
- BroveX PB DM has phenylephrine, brompheniramine, and dextromethorphan in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has phenylephrine, brompheniramine, and dextromethorphan in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not use BroveX PB DM for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 days, if they get worse, or if they occur along with a fever, check with your doctor.
- BroveX PB DM may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to BroveX PB DM. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- BroveX PB DM may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking BroveX PB DM for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take BroveX PB DM before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use BroveX PB DM with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excitability, low blood pressure, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using BroveX PB DM in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- BroveX PB DM should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using BroveX PB DM while you are pregnant. Do not take BroveX PB DM in the third trimester of pregnancy. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking BroveX PB DM.
Possible side effects of BroveX PB DM:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest tightness; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; flushing or redness of the face; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; numbness or tingling; seizures; severe dizziness, drowsiness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe dryness of mouth, nose, and throat; severe or persistent trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; tremor; unusual bruising or bleeding; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; muscle spasms; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusual eye movements; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of BroveX PB DM:
Store BroveX PB DM at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep BroveX PB DM out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about BroveX PB DM, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- BroveX PB DM is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take BroveX PB DM or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about BroveX PB DM. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to BroveX PB DM. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using BroveX PB DM.