Brompheniramine chewable tablets
Generic Name: brompheniramine (brome-fen-EER-a-meen)
Brand Name: Brovex CT
Brompheniramine chewable tablets are used for:
Temporarily relieving runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, and itchy nose, eyes, and throat associated with hay fever or other allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Brompheniramine chewable tablets are an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of histamine, a chemical released during allergic reactions.
Do NOT use brompheniramine chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in brompheniramine chewable tablets
- you are breast-feeding
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the past 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using brompheniramine chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with brompheniramine chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have narrow-angle glaucoma, increased pressure in the eye, a stomach ulcer, constipation, an enlarged prostate, the inability to urinate, asthma, overactive thyroid, a blockage of the stomach or bowels, heart disease, or high blood pressure
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with brompheniramine chewable tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine) or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of side effects such as severe drowsiness may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if brompheniramine chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use brompheniramine chewable tablets:
Use brompheniramine chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Brompheniramine chewable tablets may be taken with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of brompheniramine chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use brompheniramine chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Brompheniramine chewable tablets may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or changes in vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to brompheniramine chewable tablets. Using brompheniramine chewable tablets alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking brompheniramine chewable tablets. Brompheniramine chewable tablets will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- Brompheniramine chewable tablets may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to brompheniramine chewable tablets. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Use brompheniramine chewable tablets with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Brompheniramine chewable tablets are not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if brompheniramine chewable tablets can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking brompheniramine chewable tablets, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using brompheniramine chewable tablets during pregnancy. It is unknown if brompheniramine chewable tablets are excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking brompheniramine chewable tablets.
Possible side effects of brompheniramine chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Anxiety; dizziness or lightheadedness; drowsiness; enlarged pupils; headache; loss of appetite; restlessness; sleeplessness; tension.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred or double vision; chest pain; clumsiness or unsteadiness; convulsions; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; pounding in the chest; psychotic episodes (bizarre behavior); severe dry mouth, nose, or throat; shortness of breath; sore throat and fever; trouble urinating; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include bizarre behavior; convulsions; flushing; hallucinations; severe agitation or irritability; severe drowsiness.Proper storage of brompheniramine chewable tablets:
Store brompheniramine chewable tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep brompheniramine chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about brompheniramine chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Brompheniramine chewable tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take brompheniramine chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about brompheniramine chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to brompheniramine chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using brompheniramine chewable tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about brompheniramine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 7 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Brompheniramine 12-hour sustained-release tablets
- Brompheniramine 24-hour sustained-release capsules
- Brompheniramine liquid
- Brompheniramine suspension