The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Biotene Dry Mouth
Generic Name: Saliva Substitute Gum (sa LYE va SUB stee tute)
Brand Name: Biotene Dry Mouth, MighTeaFlow
Medically reviewed on May 2, 2018.
Uses of Biotene Dry Mouth:
- It is used to treat dry mouth.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Biotene Dry Mouth?
- If you have an allergy to saliva substitute or any other part of Biotene Dry Mouth (saliva substitute gum).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Biotene Dry Mouth (saliva substitute gum) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Biotene Dry Mouth?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Biotene Dry Mouth (saliva substitute gum). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are on a low-sodium or sodium-free diet, talk with your doctor. Some of these products have sodium.
- Take good care of your teeth or dentures while you are using Biotene Dry Mouth (saliva substitute gum).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Biotene Dry Mouth (saliva substitute gum) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Biotene Dry Mouth) best taken?
Use Biotene Dry Mouth (saliva substitute gum) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Different brands or forms of Biotene Dry Mouth (saliva substitute gum) may need to be used in different ways. Follow how to use as you have been told by the doctor or read the package insert.
- You may need to avoid eating or drinking for some time after using Biotene Dry Mouth (saliva substitute gum). Follow what your doctor has told you or read the package insert.
- Most products must not be swallowed. For some products, it does not matter. Be sure you know if your product can be swallowed. If you are not sure, check with the pharmacist.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Many times Biotene Dry Mouth (saliva substitute gum) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Mouth irritation.
- Change in speech.
- Change in taste.
What are some other side effects of Biotene Dry Mouth?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Biotene Dry Mouth?
- Store at room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Biotene Dry Mouth (saliva substitute gum), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Review Date: March 7, 2018
More about saliva substitutes topical
- Saliva substitutes topical Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- En Español
- 25 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: mouth and throat products
- Saliva substitutes
- Artificial Saliva Spray
- Saliva Substitute Gel
- Saliva Substitute Gum
- Saliva Substitute Lozenges
- ... +2 more