Benzocaine/ pyrilamine/ zinc oxide
Generic Name: benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide (BEN-zoe-kane/pir-IL-a-meen/zink OX-ide)
Brand Name: Z-Xtra
Benzocaine/ pyrilamine/ zinc oxide is used for:
Temporarily relieving pain, itching, and swelling caused by minor skin irritation (eg, insect bites, minor rashes, eczema). It is also used to dry the oozing and weeping of poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.
Benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide is a topical anesthetic, antihistamine, and skin protectant combination. It works by numbing the skin and reducing swelling.
Do NOT use benzocaine/ pyrilamine/ zinc oxide if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide or to other topical anesthetics (eg, lidocaine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using benzocaine/ pyrilamine/ zinc oxide:
Some medical conditions may interact with benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide. Because little, if any, of benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use benzocaine/ pyrilamine/ zinc oxide:
Use benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Cleanse area with mild soap and warm water when possible and rinse thoroughly. Gently dry by patting or blotting with tissue or a soft cloth.
- Apply benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide to the affected area and rub in gently as directed by your doctor or the package labeling.
- Do not apply benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide more often than 3 to 4 times daily.
- If you miss a dose of benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide.
Important safety information:
- Benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not get it in your vagina. If you get it in any of these areas, rinse at once with cool tap water.
- Do not use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 7 days without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days, if they get worse, or if they clear up and then come back, check with your doctor.
- Benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without first checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of benzocaine/ pyrilamine/ zinc oxide:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irritation at the application site.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide:
Store benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using benzocaine/pyrilamine/zinc oxide.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.