Generic Name: Benzoin Tincture Swab (BEN zoin)
Brand Name: Benz-Protect Swabs
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 24, 2019.
Uses of Benz-Protect Swabs:
- It is used to treat canker sores.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Benz-Protect Swabs?
- If you have an allergy to this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs) or any part of this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Benz-Protect Swabs?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may catch on fire. Do not use near an open flame or while smoking.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs) best taken?
Use this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not use more often or for longer than you were told.
- If this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs) gets in the eyes, rinse with a lot of water. If eye irritation lasts for a while, talk with the doctor.
- Do not swallow this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs).
- Dry the area where you will be putting this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs).
- Put on the ulcer using a clean cotton swab.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs) on a regular basis, put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Irritation where this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs) is used.
What are some other side effects of Benz-Protect Swabs?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Benz-Protect Swabs?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from heat or open flame.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (Benz-Protect Swabs), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.