Availnex chewable tablets
Generic Name: carbocysteine (KAR-boe-SIS-te-een)
Brand Name: Availnex
Availnex chewable tablets are used for:
Dietary management of patients with pulmonary oxidative stress, especially patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
Availnex chewable tablets are a medical food. It helps to increase antioxidants in the body.
Do NOT use Availnex chewable tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Availnex chewable tablets, including soy
- you are breast-feeding
- the patient is an infant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Availnex chewable tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Availnex chewable tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have or have had an ulcer in the stomach or intestines
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Availnex chewable tablets. However, no specific interactions with Availnex chewable tablets are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Availnex chewable tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Availnex chewable tablets:
Use Availnex chewable tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Availnex chewable tablets by mouth before eating or with a meal.
- Chew Availnex chewable tablets well or allow it to dissolve completely in your mouth before swallowing.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Availnex chewable tablets is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Continue to take Availnex chewable tablets even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Availnex chewable tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Availnex chewable tablets.
Important safety information:
- Availnex chewable tablets may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Availnex chewable tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Diabetes patients - Availnex chewable tablets may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Availnex chewable tablets should not be used in INFANTS; safety and effectiveness in infants have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Availnex chewable tablets while you are pregnant. Do not breast-feed while taking Availnex chewable tablets.
Possible side effects of Availnex chewable tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the stools; irregular heartbeat; symptoms of low blood sugar (eg, dizziness, drowsiness, fainting, weakness, increased hunger, increased sweating, headache, chills, tremors); vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Availnex chewable tablets:
Store Availnex chewable tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Availnex chewable tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Availnex chewable tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Availnex chewable tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Availnex chewable tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Availnex chewable tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Availnex chewable tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Availnex chewable tablets.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.