Asmanex HFA inhalation solution
Generic Name: mometasone (moe-MET-a-sone)
Brand Name: Asmanex HFA
Asmanex HFA inhalation solution is used for:
Preventing asthma symptoms. It will not stop an asthma attack once one has started.
Asmanex HFA inhalation solution is an inhaled corticosteroid. It works by decreasing irritation and swelling in the airways, which helps to control or prevent asthma symptoms.
Do NOT use Asmanex HFA inhalation solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Asmanex HFA inhalation solution
- you are having an asthma attack
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Asmanex HFA inhalation solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Asmanex HFA inhalation solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of other lung or breathing problems; or increased pressure in the eye, glaucoma, or cataracts
- if you have a personal or family history of osteoporosis (weak bones), or if you have risk factors for developing osteoporosis, including if you will be confined to a bed or chair for a long period of time
- if you have liver problems, an immune system problem; a herpes infection of the eye; a bacterial, fungal, or parasitic infection; or a viral infection (eg, chickenpox, measles, shingles)
- if you have tuberculosis (TB), have had a positive TB skin test, or have recently been vaccinated
- if you have ever had to stop taking another medicine for asthma because you were allergic to it or had other problems with it
- if you are taking or have previously taken another corticosteroid (eg, budesonide) by mouth or by inhalation
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Asmanex HFA inhalation solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
Anticonvulsants (eg, phenytoin) or corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) because the risk of serious side effects, such as weakened bones, may be increased Atazanavir, clarithromycin, indinavir, itraconazole, ketoconazole, nefazodone, nelfinavir, ritonavir, saquinavir, or telithromycin because they may increase the risk of Asmanex HFA inhalation solution's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Asmanex HFA inhalation solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Asmanex HFA inhalation solution:
Use Asmanex HFA inhalation solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Asmanex HFA inhalation solution. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Inhale Asmanex HFA inhalation solution through the mouth.
- Before using Asmanex HFA inhalation solution, be sure that the canister is properly placed in the inhaler unit.
- Do not remove the canister from the inhaler unit. Use the canister only with the inhaler unit that comes with this product. Do not use parts of this product with parts of other products.
- You must prime the inhaler before you use it for the first time. You must also prime the inhaler if it is not used for more than 5 days. To prime the inhaler, remove the plastic cap and spray the inhaler 4 times into the air away from your face and eyes. Shake well before each spray.
- Shake well before use.
- To use a dose, remove the plastic cap and breathe out slowly and completely. Place the mouthpiece between your lips and try to rest your tongue flat, unless your doctor has told you otherwise. As you start to take a slow deep breath, press the canister and mouthpiece together at exactly the same time. This will release a spray of Asmanex HFA inhalation solution. Continue breathing in slowly and deeply, remove the inhaler away from your mouth, and hold your breath for about 10 seconds or for as long as comfortable, then breathe out slowly through pursed lips or your nose. If more than 1 inhalation is to be used, wait at least 30 seconds and repeat the above steps.
- Replace the mouth piece cover after each use.
- Clean the mouthpiece weekly with a clean, dry tissue or cloth.
- Rinse your mouth with water after each use to prevent mouth or throat infections. Do not swallow the rinse water. Spit it out.
- Do not use near heat or an open flame.
- Keep the inhaler clean and dry at all times. Do not wash the inhaler or put any part of it in water.
- Asmanex HFA inhalation solution has a dose counter to help you keep track of how many doses are left. Throw Asmanex HFA inhalation solution away when the dose counter has a "0" in it. It may no longer give the correct amount of medicine with each dose.
- Continue to use Asmanex HFA inhalation solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses. Use Asmanex HFA inhalation solution on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Keep the spray away from your eyes. If you spray Asmanex HFA inhalation solution on accident, rinse with water. If redness or irritation continue, call your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Asmanex HFA inhalation solution, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Asmanex HFA inhalation solution.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Asmanex HFA inhalation solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Asmanex HFA inhalation solution will not stop an asthma attack once one has started. Be sure to carry a rescue inhaler (eg, albuterol) with you at all times to treat any breathing problems that may occur between doses of Asmanex HFA inhalation solution (eg, severe or sudden onset of wheezing or shortness of breath). If you have any questions about which medicines stop asthma attacks, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor at once if you notice that your rescue inhaler does not work as well, if you need to use it often (eg, 4 or more times a day for more than 2 days in a row; more than 1 canister in 8 weeks), or if you have a decrease in your peak flow meter results.
- Asmanex HFA inhalation solution can cause severe breathing problems right after you use a dose. Sometimes, this can be life-threatening. If this happens, use a rescue inhaler and seek medical care at once. Do not use any more doses of Asmanex HFA inhalation solution unless instructed by your doctor.
- The maximum effect of Asmanex HFA inhalation solution may take as long as 4 weeks, or longer. If symptoms do not get better within 2 weeks of using Asmanex HFA inhalation solution or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor or pharmacist about all of your asthma medicines and how to use them. Your doctor may make changes to your asthma-control medicines once your asthma is well controlled. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any asthma medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose, use for longer than prescribed, decrease your dose, or stop using Asmanex HFA inhalation solution without checking with your doctor.
- Use caution if you switch from an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) to Asmanex HFA inhalation solution. It may take several months for your body to make enough natural steroids to handle events that cause physical stress. Such events may include injury, surgery, infection, loss of blood electrolytes, or a sudden asthma attack. These may be severe and sometimes fatal. Contact your doctor right away if any of these events occur. You may need to take an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) again. Carry a card at all times that says you may need an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) if any of these events occur.
- Tell your doctor at once if you switch from an oral corticosteroid to Asmanex HFA inhalation solution and you notice symptoms such as runny nose, red or irritated eyes, muscle and joint pain, exhaustion, depression, unusual weakness, or severe or persistent nausea or vomiting.
- Asmanex HFA inhalation solution may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does. Tell your doctor right away if you are exposed to anyone who has these infections.
- Long-term use may increase the risk of cataracts or glaucoma. Talk with the doctor.
- Asmanex HFA inhalation solution may cause weak bones (osteoporosis) with long-term use. Talk with your doctor to see if you have a higher risk of weak bones or if you have any questions.
- Lab tests, including lung function, adrenal function, bone density, and eye exams, may be performed while you use Asmanex HFA inhalation solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Asmanex HFA inhalation solution.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Asmanex HFA inhalation solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Asmanex HFA inhalation solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Asmanex HFA inhalation solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; nose or throat irritation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); bone pain; flu-like symptoms; new or worsening asthma symptoms (eg, chest tightness, increased wheezing or coughing); redness or white patches in the mouth or throat; shortness of breath after using Asmanex HFA inhalation solution; symptoms of infection (eg, fever, chills, persistent sore throat, body aches, feeling tired, nausea or vomiting); vision changes (eg, cloudy vision, decreased vision).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Asmanex HFA inhalation solution:
Store Asmanex HFA inhalation solution at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Never throw the container into a fire. Contents are under pressure. Do not expose to temperatures above 120 degrees F (40 degrees C). Keep Asmanex HFA inhalation solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Asmanex HFA inhalation solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Asmanex HFA inhalation solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Asmanex HFA inhalation solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Asmanex HFA inhalation solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Asmanex HFA inhalation solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Asmanex HFA inhalation solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Asmanex HFA (mometasone)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: inhaled corticosteroids
Other brands: Asmanex Twisthaler