Generic Name: phenylephrine/carbetapentane/guaifenesin (FEN-il-EF-rin/ kar-bay-ta-PEN-tane/gwye-FEN-e-sin)
Brand Name: Aquatab C
Aquatab C is used for:
Relieving congestion, cough, and throat and airway irritation due to colds, flu, or hay fever. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Aquatab C is a decongestant, cough suppressant, and expectorant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels, reducing swelling in the nasal passages, and loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest, making coughs more productive. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use Aquatab C if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Aquatab C
- you have uncontrolled high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, or other severe heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel disease)
- you take droxidopa or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Aquatab C:
Some medical conditions may interact with Aquatab C. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye, enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, blood vessel problems, adrenal gland problems (eg, pheochromocytoma), mental or mood problems (eg, depression), trouble sleeping, an overactive thyroid, seizures, or stroke
- if you have a chronic cough, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung problems (eg, asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
- if you are in poor health or very overweight
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Aquatab C. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone , indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Aquatab C's side effects
- Alpha-blockers (eg, prazosin) and bromocriptine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Aquatab C
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, medicines for high blood pressure, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Aquatab C
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Aquatab C may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Aquatab C:
Use Aquatab C as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Aquatab C by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Swallow Aquatab C whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing. Some brands of Aquatab C may be broken in half before taking. If you have difficulty swallowing the whole tablet, ask your pharmacist if your brand of medicine may be broken in half.
- Take Aquatab C with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Drink plenty of water while taking Aquatab C.
- If you miss a dose of Aquatab C, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Aquatab C.
Important safety information:
- Aquatab C may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Aquatab C with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Aquatab C; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take appetite suppressants while you are taking Aquatab C without checking with your doctor.
- Aquatab C has phenylephrine, carbetapentane, and guaifenesin in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has phenylephrine, carbetapentane, or guaifenesin in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- If cough persists for more than 1 week or is accompanied by a fever, headache, rash, or sore throat, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Do not use Aquatab C for a cough with a lot of mucus. Do not use it for a long-term cough (eg, caused by asthma, emphysema, smoking). However, you may use it for these conditions if your doctor tells you to.
- Aquatab C may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure that your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Aquatab C.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Aquatab C before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Aquatab C with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Aquatab C in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Aquatab C should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Aquatab C can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Aquatab C while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Aquatab C.
Possible side effects of Aquatab C:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; irritability; nausea; stomach upset; trouble sleeping.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; mental or mood changes (eg, anxiety, nervousness); paleness; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness, headache, or lightheadedness; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include bizarre behavior; blurred vision; confusion; difficulty urinating; fast or shallow breathing; hallucinations; paleness; restlessness; seizures; severe dizziness, headache, or lightheadedness; severe drowsiness; tremor; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Aquatab C:
Store Aquatab C at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Aquatab C out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Aquatab C, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Aquatab C is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Aquatab C or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Aquatab C. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Aquatab C. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Aquatab C.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Aquatab C (carbetapentane / guaifenesin / phenylephrine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: upper respiratory combinations