Antipyrine/ Benzocaine/ U-Polycosanol
Generic Name: antipyrine/benzocaine/u-polycosanol (AN-tee-PYE-reen/BEN-zoe-kane/POL-ee-COHS-an-ol)
Brand Name: Examples include Auralgan and Treagan
Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol is used for:
Relieving pain and inflammation in the ear caused by certain ear conditions. It may be used with antibiotics given by mouth to treat certain ear infections. It may also be used to help remove a buildup of earwax.
Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol is an astringent, analgesic, and anesthetic combination. It works by relieving pressure and reducing inflammation, congestion, pain, and discomfort.
Do NOT use Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol or to similar medicines
- your eardrum is perforated or you have a discharge from the ear
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol:
Some medical conditions may interact with Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol. However, no specific interactions with Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol:
Use Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol is for topical use in the ear canal only. Do not get Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol in the eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol in any of these areas, rinse right away with cool water.
- Before using, hold the ear drop container in your hand for 1 or 2 minutes to avoid dizziness that may result from putting cold drops into the ear. To use ear drops, lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for several minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. Moisten a clean cotton plug with Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol and gently insert into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out.
- To prevent germs from contaminating the medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Do not rinse dropper after use. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol is brown or contains particles, do not use it.
- If you miss a dose of Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol.
Important safety information:
- Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol while you are pregnant. It is not known if Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); irritation not present when you began using Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch .
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol:
Store Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Protect from freezing. Keep the container tightly closed. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Antipyrine/Benzocaine/U-Polycosanol.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.