Generic Name: fenofibrate (FEN-oh-FYE-brate)
Brand Name: Examples include Antara and Lipofen
Antara capsules are used for:
Lowering high cholesterol and triglyceride levels in the blood. It also increases high-density lipoprotein (HDL) ("good") cholesterol levels. It is used along with an appropriate diet.
Antara capsules are a lipid-lowering agent. It works by increasing a certain substance that helps to remove triglycerides from the blood. This also helps the body to decrease the amount of other bad cholesterol in the blood.
Do NOT use Antara capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Antara capsules or to fenofibric acid
- you have gallbladder problems, liver problems (eg, cirrhosis, hepatitis), or persistent abnormal liver function tests
- you have severe kidney problems or are receiving dialysis
- you are breast-feeding
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Antara capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with Antara capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines or other substances
- if you have a history of diabetes, an underactive thyroid, heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel problems), gallbladder problems (eg, gallstones), pancreatitis, kidney or liver problems, or muscle problems
- if you have a history of blood clots in your veins (deep vein thrombosis or pulmonary embolism)
- if you are very overweight, have an inactive lifestyle, have a poor diet, or you drink alcohol or have a history of alcohol abuse
- if you have trouble swallowing
- if you are taking a beta-blocker (eg, propranolol), estrogen, or thiazide diuretic (eg, hydrochlorothiazide)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Antara capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Colchicine or HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors (statins) (eg, simvastatin) because the risk of serious muscle problems may be increased
- Immunosuppressants (eg, cyclosporine) or other medicines that may harm the kidney (eg, aminoglycoside antibiotics [eg, gentamicin], amphotericin B, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs [NSAIDs] [eg, ibuprofen], tacrolimus, vancomycin) because they may increase the risk of Antara capsules's side effects. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines might harm the kidney
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Antara capsules
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Antara capsules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Antara capsules:
Use Antara capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Some brands of Antara capsules should be taken with food. Some brands may be taken with or without food. Ask your pharmacist if you should take your brand of Antara capsules with food.
- Swallow Antara capsules whole. Do not open, crush, dissolve, or chew before swallowing. If you cannot swallow Antara capsules whole, tell your doctor. You may need a different medicine.
- Take Antara capsules with a full glass of water (8 oz [240 mL]).
- If you also take a bile acid-binding resin (eg, cholestyramine), do not take it within 4 to 6 hours before or 1 hour after taking Antara capsules. Check with your doctor if you have any questions.
- Take Antara capsules on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Taking Antara capsules at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Antara capsules even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Antara capsules, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Antara capsules.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Antara capsules before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose, change your dose, or stop taking Antara capsules without checking with your doctor.
- Follow the diet, exercise, and weight loss program given to you by your health care provider.
- Muscle problems (myopathy) may occur with Antara capsules. The risk of muscle problems may be greater in elderly patients and in people who have kidney problems or low thyroid function. It may also be greater in those who take Antara capsules with certain other medicines (eg, colchicine; HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors [statins], such as simvastatin). Tell your doctor right away if you notice any unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially if you also have a fever or general body discomfort.
- Severe skin reactions (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) have happened. They can cause serious health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Antara capsules. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Antara capsules with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially muscle problems.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Antara capsules can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant or plan to become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Antara capsules while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Antara capsules.
Possible side effects of Antara capsules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Back pain; constipation; headache; nausea; runny or stuffy nose.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); calf or leg pain, swelling, redness, or tenderness; chest pain; coughing up blood; decreased urination; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness (especially along with fever or unusual tiredness); severe or persistent joint pain or swelling; shortness of breath; symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine, pale stools, persistent loss of appetite, right-sided stomach pain, yellowing of the skin or eyes); symptoms of pancreatitis (eg, severe stomach or back pain, with or without nausea or vomiting); unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Antara capsules:
Store Antara capsules at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Antara capsules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Antara capsules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Antara capsules are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Antara capsules or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Antara capsules. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Antara capsules. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Antara capsules.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Antara (fenofibrate)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: fibric acid derivatives