AnaMantle HC cream
Generic Name: hydrocortisone/lidocaine (hye-droe-KOR-ti-sone/LYE-doe-kane)
Brand Name: Examples include AnaMantle HC and Rectacreme HC
AnaMantle HC cream is used for:
Treating pain, itching, soreness, and discomfort of the anal area due to certain conditions, such as anal fissures and hemorrhoids.
AnaMantle HC cream is an anti-inflammatory and topical anesthetic combination. It works by preventing nerves from transmitting painful impulses to the brain and decreasing inflammation around the affected area.
Do NOT use AnaMantle HC cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in AnaMantle HC cream or to similar medicines (eg, amide-type local anesthetics)
- you have a tuberculosis or fungal infection of the skin, a herpes simplex skin infection, chickenpox, or a skin infection following smallpox vaccination
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using AnaMantle HC cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with AnaMantle HC cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any anesthetic medicine
- if you have measles, a skin infection or other skin problems (eg, cuts, scrapes, thinning), or a herpes infection of the eye
- if you have had any recent vaccinations or you have ever had a positive tuberculin skin test
- if you have heart, liver, or kidney problems; diabetes; diarrhea; an infection; stomach or intestinal problems (eg, inflammation, blockage, ulcer) or have had recent stomach or intestinal surgery; esophagus problems (eg, inflammation); a colostomy; osteoporosis (weak bones); or myasthenia gravis (muscle weakness)
- if you are very ill or weak
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with AnaMantle HC cream. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Antiarrhythmics (eg, flecainide, quinidine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by AnaMantle HC cream
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if AnaMantle HC cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use AnaMantle HC cream:
Use AnaMantle HC cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- AnaMantle HC cream is for external use only. Do not get AnaMantle HC cream in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get AnaMantle HC cream in your eyes, rinse immediately with cool water.
- Keep AnaMantle HC cream inside the child-resistent packaging until you are ready to use it.
- Clean the affected area with a single-use wipe before applying AnaMantle HC cream.
- Remove the cap from the tube and attach the applicator to the end of the tube. While holding the tube, squeeze the tube to fill the applicator until a small amount of medicine shows. Lubricate the end of the tip with the medicine. Gently insert the applicator tip into the anal area. Do NOT completely insert the applicator and tube into the anus or insert deep into the rectum. Squeeze the tube to apply the medicine to the affected areas as directed by your doctor.
- Throw away the tube and applicator after a single use, away from children and pets. Do not reuse.
- Do not bandage or wrap the affected area unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of AnaMantle HC cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use AnaMantle HC cream.
Important safety information:
- AnaMantle HC cream may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- AnaMantle HC cream has a corticosteroid (hydrocortisone) in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a corticosteroid in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take AnaMantle HC cream before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- AnaMantle HC cream may cause a numbing effect at the application site. Do not scratch, rub, or expose the area to extreme hot or cold temperature until the numbness is gone.
- If you use topical products too often, your condition may become worse.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose, apply more often, or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Use AnaMantle HC cream with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- AnaMantle HC cream should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use AnaMantle HC cream.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if AnaMantle HC cream can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using AnaMantle HC cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use AnaMantle HC cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of AnaMantle HC cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Redness or temporary stinging, burning, or lightening of skin; temporary numbness at the application site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); infection; persistent or severe irritation; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include increased thirst or urination; muscle weakness; unusual weight gain, especially in the face.Proper storage of AnaMantle HC cream:
Store AnaMantle HC cream at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Protect from freezing. Store away from heat and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep AnaMantle HC cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about AnaMantle HC cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- AnaMantle HC cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take AnaMantle HC cream or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about AnaMantle HC cream. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to AnaMantle HC cream. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using AnaMantle HC cream.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.