Alka-Seltzer effervescent tabletsPronunciation
Generic Name: aspirin (AS-pir-in)
Brand Name: Examples include Alka-Seltzer and Medi-Seltzer
Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets are used for:
Treating headaches, body aches, pain, heartburn, acid indigestion, and sour stomach. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets are an antacid and analgesic combination. Aspirin, the analgesic, works by inhibiting several different chemical processes within the body causing pain and inflammation. The antacid works by neutralizing stomach acid and relieving symptoms.
Do NOT use Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets
- you are a child or teenager with influenza (flu) or chickenpox
- you have bleeding problems such as hemophilia, von Willebrand disease, or low blood platelets
- you are taking oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), arginine derivatives (eg, argatroban), or methotrexate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicine, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, dizziness) to aspirin, tartrazine, or an nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- if you have alcoholism or if you consume 3 or more alcohol-containing drinks every day
- if you have asthma, bleeding or clotting problems, growths in the nose (nasal polyps), kidney or liver problems, stomach or peptic ulcers (bleeding ulcers), heartburn, upset stomach, stomach pain, influenza (flu) or chickenpox, or vitamin K deficiency
- if you have a history of stroke, a weakened blood vessel (cerebral aneurysm) or bleeding in the brain, or Kawasaki syndrome (a rare inflammation causing heart problems in children)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, acetazolamide) or griseofulvin because they may decrease Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets's effectiveness
- NSAIDs (eg, ibuprofen, celecoxib) because they may decrease Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets's effectiveness and the risk of the side effects of both medicines, including stomach irritation and risk of bleeding, may be increased
- Activated protein C, oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), arginine derivatives (eg, argatroban), ginkgo biloba extract, or heparin because the risk of their side effects, including risk of bleeding, may be increased by Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets
- Insulin or oral antidiabetics (eg, glyburide, nateglinide) because the risk of their side effects, including low blood sugar (eg, hunger, shakiness or weakness, dizziness, headache, sweating), may be increased by Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets
- Methotrexate and valproic acid because the risk of their actions and side effects may be increased by Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets.
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), beta-blockers (eg, metoprolol, propranolol), bisphosphonates (eg, etidronate), nitrates (nitroglycerin), probenecid, or sulfinpyrazone because their effectiveness may be decreased by Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets:
Use Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Do not remove the medicine from the package until you are ready to take it. Make sure that your hands are dry when you open Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets.
- Do not chew or swallow the tablets. Place the tablet in a glass and add about 4 ounces (120 mL) of cold water. Allow the tablet to dissolve completely, then drink all the liquid. Rinse the container with an additional small amount of water and drink the contents to ensure the entire dose is taken.
- If you miss a dose of Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets.
Important safety information:
- Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets has aspirin in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has aspirin in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Talk to your doctor before you take Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets or other pain relievers/fever reducers if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day. Serious stomach ulcers or bleeding can occur with the use of Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets. Taking it in high doses or for a long time, smoking, or drinking alcohol increases the risk of these side effects. Taking Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets with food will NOT reduce the risk of these effects. Contact your doctor or emergency room at once if you develop severe stomach or back pain; black, tarry stools; vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds; or unusual weight gain or swelling.
- Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bruising or bleeding. Tell your doctor if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Aspirin has been linked to a serious illness called Reye syndrome. Do not give Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets to a child or teenager who has the flu, chickenpox, or a viral infection. Contact your doctor with any questions or concerns.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets contains sodium. Include Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets when counting your daily intake of sodium.
- If Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets has a strong vinegar-like smell upon opening, or if Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets does not fizz when placed in water, it means the medicine is breaking down. Throw the medicine away safely and out of the reach of children; contact your pharmacist and replace.
- Do not take Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets for at least 7 days after any surgery unless directed by your health care provider.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets while you are pregnant. Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets are not recommended during the last 3 months (third trimester) of pregnancy because it may cause harm to the fetus. Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Heartburn; nausea; upset stomach.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody or black stools; confusion; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; hearing loss; ringing in the ears; severe stomach pain; unusual bruising; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; fever; hearing loss; lethargy; lightheadedness, especially upon standing; nausea; rapid breathing; rapid or irregular heartbeat; ringing in the ears; seizures; shortness of breath; stomach pain; vomiting.Proper storage of Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets:
Store Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Alka-Seltzer effervescent tablets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about aspirin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 27 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Aspirin chewable tablets
- Aspirin controlled-release tablets
- Aspirin delayed-release tablets
- Aspirin effervescent tablets
- Aspirin gum
- More... (2)