Generic Name: loratadine (lor-A-ta-deen)
Brand Name: Examples include Alavert and Claritin
Alavert syrup is used for:
Relieving symptoms of seasonal allergies such as runny nose; sneezing; itchy, watery eyes; or itching of the nose and throat. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Alavert syrup is an antihistamine. It works by blocking a substance in the body called histamine. This helps to decrease allergy symptoms.
Do NOT use Alavert syrup if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Alavert syrup
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Alavert syrup:
Some medical conditions may interact with Alavert syrup. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney or liver problems, or you are on a low-sodium diet
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Alavert syrup. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Amiodarone because the risk of severe irregular heartbeat may be increased
Ask your health care provider if Alavert syrup may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Alavert syrup:
Use Alavert syrup as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Alavert syrup by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Alavert syrup, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Alavert syrup.
Important safety information:
- Taking Alavert syrup in high doses may cause drowsiness. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Alavert syrup may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Alavert syrup for a few days before the tests.
- Alavert syrup has sodium in it. If you are on a low sodium diet, include this when you count your daily intake of sodium.
- Alavert syrup should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old without checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Alavert syrup while you are pregnant. Alavert syrup is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Alavert syrup, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Alavert syrup:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent dizziness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fast or irregular heartbeat; severe drowsiness or headache.Proper storage of Alavert syrup:
Store Alavert syrup at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Alavert syrup out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Alavert syrup, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Alavert syrup is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Alavert syrup or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Alavert syrup. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Alavert syrup. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Alavert syrup.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Alavert (loratadine)
- Other brands: Claritin, Wal-itin, Claritin 24 Hour Allergy, Vicks QlearQuil All Day & All Night 24 Hour Allergy Relief, More (6) »