The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets
Generic Name: brompheniramine/diphenhydramine/phenylephrine (BROME-fen-IR-a-meen/DYE-fen-HYE-dra-meen/FEN-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Ala-Hist D
Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets are used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion; pressure; runny nose; itchy, watery eyes; itchy nose and throat; and sneezing due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets are an antihistamine and decongestant combination. The antihistamines work by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms such as watery eyes and sneezing. The decongestant promotes sinus and nasal drainage, which relieves congestion and pressure.
Do NOT use Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of asthma; lung problems (eg, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD]); sleep apnea; adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); blood problems (eg, porphyria); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; ulcers; trouble sleeping; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; or thyroid problems
- if you have a history of alcohol or other substance abuse
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, linezolid, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets's side effects
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets:
Use Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets.
Important safety information:
- Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets without checking with your doctor.
- Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets has brompheniramine, diphenhydramine, and phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has brompheniramine, diphenhydramine, or phenylephrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, excitability, low blood pressure, and trouble urinating.
- Caution is advised when using Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets while you are pregnant. Do not take Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets in the third trimester of pregnancy. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets.
Possible side effects of Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision or other vision changes; difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mood or mental changes; persistent trouble sleeping; restlessness; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor; unusual bruising or bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular breathing; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets:
Store Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ala-Hist D sustained-release tablets.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.