Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture
Generic Name: Oxymetazoline (Nasal) (oks i met AZ oh leen)
Brand Name: 12 Hour Decongestant, 12 Hour Nasal Decongestant, 12 Hour Nasal Relief Spray, 12 Hour Nasal Spray, Afrin 12 Hour, ...show all 28 brand names.Afrin Menthol Spray, Afrin Nasal Spray, Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture, Afrin NoDrip Original, Afrin NoDrip Sinus, Afrin Sinus, Dristan Spray, Long Lasting Nasal Spray, Mucinex Nasal Spray Full Force, Mucinex Nasal Spray Moisture, Mucinex Sinus-Max Clear & Cool, Mucinex Sinus-Max Full Force, Nasal Decongestant Spray, Nasal Spray 12 Hour, Nasal Spray Max Strength, Neo-Synephrine 12 Hour Spray, NRS Nasal Relief, QlearQuil, Sinus Nasal Spray, Vicks Sinex 12 Hour Decongest, Vicks Sinex Moisturizing, Vicks Sinex Severe Decongest, Vicks Sinex
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 14, 2019.
Uses of Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture:
- It is used to treat nose stuffiness.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture?
- If you have an allergy to oxymetazoline or any other part of Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use for more than 3 days. Using Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)) too often or for longer than you have been told may cause nose stuffiness to happen again or get worse.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed or if too much is used. The chance is higher in children. If Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)) is swallowed or too much is used, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Talk with the doctor before you give Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)) to a child younger than 6 years old.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture) best taken?
Use Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)) by mouth. Use in your nose only. Keep out of your mouth and eyes (may burn).
- Some of these drugs need to be shaken before use. Be sure you know if this product needs to be shaken before using it.
- Some products may have different ways to prime the pump. Some pumps may also need to be primed if not used for different periods of time. Follow how and when to prime as you have been told.
- Blow your nose before use.
- Do not tilt your head back before using Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)).
- Put the cap back on after you are done using your dose.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)) on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Nose irritation.
- Burning or stinging.
- Runny nose.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisture (oxymetazoline (nasal)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Afrin NoDrip Extra Moisturizing (oxymetazoline nasal)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 1 Review
- Drug class: nasal antihistamines and decongestants
- FDA Alerts (5)