Generic name: Vitamin A Cream and Lotion (VYE ta min aye)
Brand name: AFirm 1X, AFirm 2X, AFirm 3X, Gordons-Vite A
Drug class: Miscellaneous topical agents
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 26, 2020.
Uses of AFirm 1X:
- It is used to treat or prevent vitamin A deficiency.
- It is used to treat some skin problems.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take AFirm 1X?
- If you have an allergy to vitamin A or any other part of AFirm 1X (vitamin A cream and lotion).
- If you are allergic to AFirm 1X (vitamin A cream and lotion); any part of AFirm 1X (vitamin A cream and lotion); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have too much vitamin A in the blood.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with AFirm 1X (vitamin A cream and lotion).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take AFirm 1X (vitamin A cream and lotion) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take AFirm 1X?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take AFirm 1X (vitamin A cream and lotion). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using AFirm 1X (vitamin A cream and lotion) while you are pregnant.
- Do not take more vitamin A than what your doctor told you to take. Taking too much vitamin A during pregnancy may cause birth defects. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (AFirm 1X) best taken?
Use AFirm 1X (vitamin A cream and lotion) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take AFirm 1X (vitamin A cream and lotion) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, ears, and eyes (may burn).
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Wash hands before and after use. Do not wash hands after use if putting this on the hand.
- Put a thin layer on the affected part and rub in gently.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not put on 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of AFirm 1X?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out AFirm 1X?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about AFirm 1X (vitamin A cream and lotion), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about vitamin a topical
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.