Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler
Generic Name: flunisolide (floo-NIS-oh-lide)
Brand Name: Aerospan
Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler is used for:
Treating asthma. Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler will not stop an asthma attack once it has started.
Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler is a corticosteroid. It works by reducing inflammatory reactions in the airways in response to allergens and irritants in the air.
Do NOT use Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler
- you are having an asthma attack
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler:
Some medical conditions may interact with Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have or have had tuberculosis (TB) or a positive skin test for tuberculosis
- if you have any infection (fungal, bacterial, parasitic, or viral), measles, chickenpox, herpes simplex in or around the eye, eczema, or you have recently received a vaccination
- if you have not had or been vaccinated for chickenpox or measles or have recently been near anyone with chickenpox or measles
- if you or a family member have a history of glaucoma, increased pressure in the eyes, or cataracts
- if you use tobacco, have poor nutrition, are past menopause, or have osteoporosis (weak bones) or a family history of osteoporosis
- if you will be having surgery or confined to a bed or chair for a prolonged period of time
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler. However, no specific interactions with Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler are known at this time.
- Anticonvulsants (eg, phenytoin) or corticosteroids (eg, prednisone) because the risk of serious side effects, such as weakened bones, may be increased by Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler
This may not be a complete list of all interaction that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler:
Use Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet and detailed instructions for use are available with Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler comes with a built-in spacer. Do not use any other spacers or holding chamber devices. Open the inhaler into an "L" shape.
- Before you use the inhaler for the first time or if you have not used it for more than 2 weeks, you will need to prime the inhaler. Shake the inhaler. Point the mouthpiece away from your face and press down on the metal canister 2 times to release 2 test sprays into the air.
- Before using Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler, be sure that the canister is properly inserted into the inhaler unit. Remove the dust cap and inspect the mouthpiece for foreign objects before each use.
- Shake well before each inhalation.
- Hold the inhaler upright. Breathe out fully. Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and firmly close your lips around the mouthpiece. Start breathing in slowly. While breathing in, press the canister of medicine for at least 1 second. Continue to breathe in through your mouth for 3 more seconds. Remove the inhaler from your mouth but do not breathe out yet. Close your lips and hold your breath for at least 10 seconds or as long as comfortable. Breathe out slowly.
- If your doctor has prescribed 2 or more sprays at each use, wait at least 20 seconds between sprays.
- Rinse your mouth with water after each dose. Spit out the rinse water. This will help to decrease the risk of developing a fungal infection of the mouth from Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler.
- Do not use near open flame or while smoking.
- Keep track of the number of sprays left by using the chart that comes with Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler.
- With use, a white ring of residue may appear inside the spacer. This is normal and will not affect how the inhaler works. No cleaning is needed.
- Use Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Continue to use Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler.
Important safety information:
- Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler is for oral inhalation only. Do not get it in your eyes. If you get it in your eyes, rinse right away with cool water.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose, change the dose, or stop taking Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 2 to 4 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler will not stop an asthma attack once it has already started. Be sure to carry a short-acting bronchodilator (eg, albuterol) with you at all times to treat any breathing problems that may occur between doses of Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler (eg, severe or sudden onset of wheezing, shortness of breath). If you have any questions about which medicines stop asthma attacks, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler may sometimes cause severe breathing problems right after you use a dose. If this happens, use your short-acting bronchodilator. Contact your doctor or seek other medical care at once.
- Use caution if you switch from an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) to Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler. It may take several months for your body to make enough natural steroids to handle events that cause physical stress. Such events may include injury, surgery, infection, loss of blood electrolytes, or a sudden asthma attack. These may be severe and sometimes fatal. Contact your doctor right away if any of these events occur. You may need to take an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) again. Carry a card at all times that says you may need an oral steroid (eg, prednisone) if any of these events occur.
- Contact your health care provider at once if you have an asthma attack and you do not get relief from your bronchodilator inhaler.
- Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection such as fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does. Contact your doctor if you are exposed to one of these conditions.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine while you are using Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler.
- Lab tests, including eye exams and lung function, may be performed while you use Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler.
- Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler is not approved for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Contact your health care provider if WITHDRAWAL symptoms (joint or muscle pain, lack of energy, depression) occur.
Possible side effects of Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; increased cough; runny nose; sinus swelling or pain; sore throat; stuffy nose.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bone pain; chest pain; dizziness; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; lack of energy; menstrual changes; mental or mood changes (eg, depression); nausea; new or worsening breathing problems; redness or white patches in the mouth or throat; shakiness; shortness of breath; swelling; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision changes; vomiting; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler:
Store Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Protect from freezing. Avoid temperatures above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C). Store canister with mouthpiece down. Store away from heat and direct sunlight. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Contents are under pressure. Keep Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Aerobid-M aerosol inhaler.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Aerobid-M (flunisolide)
- Other brands: Aerospan HFA