Generic Name: adapalene (a-DAP-a-leen)
Brand Name: Differin
Adapalene lotion is used for:
Treating severe acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Adapalene lotion is a retinoid-like compound. Exactly how it works is not known. However, it helps the skin cells renew quicker and decreases blackhead formation.
Do NOT use adapalene lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in adapalene lotion
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using adapalene lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with adapalene lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema or sunburn
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with adapalene lotion. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Products that contain resorcinol, salicylic acid, or sulfur because the risk of skin irritation may be increased
Ask your health care provider if adapalene lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use adapalene lotion:
Use adapalene lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Adapalene lotion is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes, lips, angles of the nose, and mucous membranes. Exposure of adapalene lotion to the eye may cause swelling, redness, and irritation.
- Do not apply adapalene lotion to cuts, damaged or sunburned skin, or eczema.
- Use adapalene lotion in the evening before bedtime unless directed otherwise by your doctor.
- Before applying adapalene lotion, clean the area to be treated with mild soap or soapless cleanser and gently dry.
- Apply a thin film of adapalene lotion to the entire face and other affected areas, as directed by your doctor. Use an amount about the size of a nickel (3 to 4 pumps) to cover the entire face. Rub in gently. Wash your hands immediately after using adapalene lotion.
- A mild sensation of warmth or slight stinging may occur shortly after using adapalene lotion.
- If you miss a dose of adapalene lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once. If several applications are missed, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use adapalene lotion.
Important safety information:
- Adapalene lotion may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to adapalene lotion. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Do not use more than the recommended dose or more often than prescribed without checking with your doctor. Doing so will not make adapalene lotion work faster or better, but may increase the risk of skin irritation.
- Acne may worsen temporarily when you begin using adapalene lotion. This is normal and not a cause for concern. Continue to use adapalene lotion. If your condition does not improve within 12 weeks, check with your doctor.
- Do not use other medicines or skin products on the affected area without first checking with your doctor. Some other products may increase the risk of skin irritation.
- Skin moisturizers may be used if necessary. Do not use moisturizers that contain alpha hydroxy or glycolic acids.
- Certain cosmetic procedures, such as waxing, should not be performed on treated skin because of possible irritation.
- Cosmetics may be used while using adapalene lotion. After using cosmetics, thoroughly wash and dry the affected area before applying adapalene lotion.
- Wind and cold temperatures can also irritate the affected skin.
- Adapalene lotion should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using adapalene lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use adapalene lotion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of adapalene lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dry skin; feeling of warmth; irritation; itching; peeling; redness; scaling; temporary burning and stinging.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistering; crusting; excessive redness or peeling; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Adapalene lotion may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of adapalene lotion:
Store adapalene lotion at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat and light. Do not freeze or refrigerate. Keep adapalene lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about adapalene lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Adapalene lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take adapalene lotion or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about adapalene lotion. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to adapalene lotion. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using adapalene lotion.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about adapalene topical
- Adapalene cream
- Adapalene pads
- Adapalene solution
- Adapalene topical
- Adapalene Topical (Advanced Reading)
- Other brands: Differin