Acetaminophen/ chlorpheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets
Generic Name: acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine (a-SEET-a-MIN-oh-fen/KLOR-fen-IR-a-meen/FEN-il-EF-rin)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Acetaminophen/ chlorpheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets are used for:
Relieving symptoms of colds, flu, hay fever, and allergies such as headache, sinus pain, nasal and sinus congestion, sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose, fever, and itching of the nose or throat. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets are an antihistamine, decongestant, and pain reliever combination. It works by blocking histamine, a substance in the body that causes sneezing, runny nose, and watery eyes. It also relieves nasal congestion and pain associated with sinus pressure, and dries the nose and chest.
Do NOT use acetaminophen/ chlorpheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
- you are taking or have taken furazolidone or an monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the past 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using acetaminophen/ chlorpheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets:
Some medical conditions may interact with acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver problems or hepatitis, or if you drink more than 3 alcoholic drinks per day
- if you have fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of lung or breathing problems (eg, emphysema, asthma); heart problems; diabetes; blood vessel problems; stroke; difficulty urinating; enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; glaucoma; high blood pressure; an overactive thyroid; seizures; kidney problems; adrenal gland problems (eg, pheochromocytoma); sleep apnea; trouble sleeping; stomach problems; blockage of the stomach, intestines, or bladder; or ulcer
- if you are on a low-salt (sodium) diet
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, isoniazid, MAOIs, (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets's side effects
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), bromocriptine, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use acetaminophen/ chlorpheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets:
Use acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Dissolve contents of 1 packet in 8 oz of hot water. Sip while hot. Drink entire mixture within 10 to 15 minutes.
- If using a microwave, stir before and after heating. Do not overheat.
- If you miss a dose of acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets.
Important safety information:
- Acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets.
- Check with your doctor before you use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose or use acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. Doing so will not improve your condition faster and may increase your risk for side effects.
- If sore throat does not get better within 2 days or fever does not get better within 3 days, or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- If your other symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets has acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine, and phenylephrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine, or phenylephrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets without checking with your doctor.
- Acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets may harm your liver. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets. Talk to your doctor before you take acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets or other fever reducers if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- If you have trouble sleeping, ask your doctor or pharmacist about the best time of the day to take acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets.
- Use acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Do not use acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old without checking with the child's doctor; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets while you are pregnant. Some of the ingredients in acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of acetaminophen/ chlorpheniramine/ phenylephrine powder packets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth, nose, or throat; excitability; headache; nausea; nervousness; trouble sleeping.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; dark urine or pale stools; difficulty urinating; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; high blood pressure; rapid pulse; seizures; severe nervousness, restlessness, or trouble sleeping; stomach pain; tremors; unusual fatigue; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fast or irregular heartbeat; fever; hallucinations; nausea; seizures; sweating; tremors; trouble breathing; unusual drowsiness or dizziness; vomiting.Proper storage of acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets:
Store acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine powder packets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 7 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine controlled-release tablets
- Acetaminophen/chlorpheniramine/phenylephrine effervescent tablets
- Acetaminophen, chlorpheniramine, and phenylephrine