The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Accuzyme SE spray emulsion
Generic Name: papain/urea (pa-PAY-in/ure-EE-a)
Brand Name: Accuzyme SE
Accuzyme SE spray emulsion is used for:
Removing dead tissue and thinning the pus in lesions such as ulcers, burns, wounds, and carbuncles.
Accuzyme SE spray emulsion is a debriding agent. It works by helping the breakdown of dead skin and pus, which helps improve the recovery time of open wounds.
Do NOT use Accuzyme SE spray emulsion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Accuzyme SE spray emulsion
- you are using any medicine containing silver, lead, mercury, or hydrogen peroxide on the affected area
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Accuzyme SE spray emulsion:
Some medical conditions may interact with Accuzyme SE spray emulsion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Accuzyme SE spray emulsion. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Hydrogen peroxide or medicines containing lead, mercury, or silver because they may decrease Accuzyme SE spray emulsion's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Accuzyme SE spray emulsion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Accuzyme SE spray emulsion:
Use Accuzyme SE spray emulsion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Accuzyme SE spray emulsion is for external use only.
- Before each use of Accuzyme SE spray emulsion, clean the affected area with saline or another mild wound cleansing solution. Do not use hydrogen peroxide.
- The first time you use a new bottle of Accuzyme SE spray emulsion, press the nozzle gently to break the seal.
- Hold the spray bottle about 2 to 4 inches from the wound and use even, firm pressure to spray the medicine. Completely cover the wound with a single layer of medicine. Cover with appropriate dressing (eg, bandages) and secure into place. Wash the area each time the dressing is changed.
- Wipe the nozzle with clean gauze after each use.
- Change wound dressings according to the schedule set by your doctor.
- If irritation occurs, talk with your doctor about changing the dressings more often.
- Protect the normal skin around the wound with a skin protectant as directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Accuzyme SE spray emulsion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Accuzyme SE spray emulsion.
Important safety information:
- Accuzyme SE spray emulsion is for external use only. Do not get it in the eyes or mouth. If you get Accuzyme SE spray emulsion in the eyes, rinse them immediately with a generous amount of cool water.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Accuzyme SE spray emulsion while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Accuzyme SE spray emulsion, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Accuzyme SE spray emulsion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Mild skin irritation; temporary burning sensation.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent skin irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Accuzyme SE spray emulsion:
Store Accuzyme SE spray emulsion in a cool place, between 46 and 59 degrees F (8 and 15 degrees C). Do not refrigerate. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Accuzyme SE spray emulsion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Accuzyme SE spray emulsion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Accuzyme SE spray emulsion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Accuzyme SE spray emulsion or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Accuzyme SE spray emulsion. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Accuzyme SE spray emulsion. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Accuzyme SE spray emulsion.