Generic name: Phenylephrine (nasal) [ fen-il-EF-rin ]
Brand names: 4-Way Fast Acting, 4-Way Menthol, Afrin Childrens, Nasal Four, Neo-Synephrine Cold & Sinus, Rhinall
Drug class: Nasal antihistamines and decongestants
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Apr 3, 2022.
Uses of 4-Way Menthol:
- It is used to treat nose stuffiness.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take 4-Way Menthol?
- If you have an allergy to phenylephrine or any other part of 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)).
- If you are allergic to 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)); any part of 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have taken certain drugs for depression or Parkinson's disease in the last 14 days. This includes isocarboxazid, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, selegiline, or rasagiline. Very high blood pressure may happen.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take 4-Way Menthol?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not use for more than 3 days. Using 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)) too often or for longer than you have been told may cause nose stuffiness to happen again or get worse.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (4-Way Menthol) best taken?
Use 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- For the nose only.
- Blow your nose before use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you use 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)) on a regular basis, use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of 4-Way Menthol?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Nose irritation.
- Runny nose.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out 4-Way Menthol?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine (nasal)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about 4-Way Menthol (phenylephrine nasal)
- Side effects
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- Drug class: nasal antihistamines and decongestants
- Other brands
- Nasal Four, Neo-Synephrine Nasal, 4 Way Fast Acting Nasal Spray, Vicks Sinex Nasal Spray (old formulation), ... +3 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.