Zonisamide - my neurolgist just put me on this for frequent migraines; has anyone had good results?

cbomb79 2 Oct 2012

Hi there SRDLW, I took zonegran 100mg at bedtime for about a year before losing my insurance. I had been on topamax for 2 years prior and experienced terrible neurological/emotional side effects. The zonegran definitely worked to decrease the frequency of the migraines but the intensity and duration were unchanged. I did not experience any undesirable side effects while on it and am actually restarting tonight (got some insurance, yay!). My neurologist explained to me that people react differently to antiepileptics and what may work well for one person may not for another. As I mentioned, topamax is another used for migraine prevention and I have friends who take it and for them it is a godsend. Another med my neuro thought of if the zonegran didn't work for me was keppra. I would give the zonegran at least 1-2 months before making your ultimate decision unless you suffer unwanted side effects. I also had cymbalta added to my regimen for cervical disk pain which also seemed tto help with the migraines. Hope this was helpful! Carissa