Can you take trazodone to stop panic attacks or do you have to take it on a regular basis?

LaurieShay 10 May 2012

It takes upwards of a week of continuous medication to start working with maximum benefit reached within the first couple weeks for depression. Not sure that it is going to help anxiety on an as needed basis. There are other meds that are better for taking on an as needed basis such as Seroquell or a benzodiazepine.

Anonymous 10 May 2012

Hello GlennNorthway. No it will not help. Meaning as an aid to help against panic attacks or anxiety. It is strictly perscribed as a antidepressant and off label as a sleep aid. Regards, pledge

VA rose 1 Mar 2014

To Pledge: I see you have many good answers to Trazodone questions.
I had insomnia for 2 years. Went to DR. at one year, took several things that didn't help. Took Trazodone a week or two, didn't help at all. Then happened to take it with an OTC sleep aid from Kroger : doxylamine succinate. Actually, I took HALF of a doxy, with a Trazodone 100, and it flipped the switch. Have been sleeping well for a year. I usually take 1/4 of a trazodone (chewed) at bedtime, with a 100 (not time release) and the doxy, and I SLEEP. Went through a period of hair loss, not sure if related, slowed when I cut my elbow length hair to shoulder length, and started taking biotin supplement each morning. We had a stressful move, and I lost 30 pounds, and that combo may have caused hair to fall out. I notice my eyes not wanting to focus, and I am more forgetful than used to be.
Do you think I will ever be able to get OFF Trazodone? ... Rose