Can you safely take Vicodin every day..or should I just stay on MS Contin?

Anonymous 4 Mar 2012

Hi zanthine, & welcome to the site. If it were me in your shoes, I would continue with the MS Contin, & ask for vicodin or percocet for any breakthru pain you still experience. I am assumming you have chrontic pain. More info about your condition & how long you have taken copate for pain relief also helps determine what is best. What say your doctor? I wish you the best... Mary

zanthine 4 Mar 2012

My Dr. won't give me both..I'm not sure why but he drug tests everyone so he's warey about writing.I use to be on 150mg.'s Fentanyl and was feeling like I was dying.I also was on OxyContin 80mg's 3X's day,and Methadone.
Not at the same time though.I have pain from a rotator-cuff surgery and it hurts all the time,before that I had 3 spinal surgeries.But there is no 'high' from MS Contin .. and if I have to take pills,I might as well get high from them.I'm not sure if I want to F up my liver from acetaminophen.Thanks for responding.

Anonymous 6 Mar 2012

DOES THE MS CONTIN HELP YOUR PAIN? IF NOT YOU REALLY NEED TO HAVE A LONG DISCUSSION WITH YOUR DOCTOR. YOU HAVE BEEN ON SOME GOOD PAIN RELIEVERS, BUT IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A HIGH, YOU ARE GOING UP THE WRONG ROAD... JUST MY THOUGHTS... MARY

DzooBaby 5 Mar 2012

I agree with Mary. I would stay on the MSContin. Since it is a long acting drug, it is going to control your pain more consistantly. Vicodin is a weaker short acting drug and you will have much more "up and downs" of pain relief as they have to be taken evey 4-6 hours, take about an hour to work then will start tapering off in about 2-3 hours and then you are stuck in pain waiting for the next dose where the MSContin you are taking every 8-12 hours on the clock so you have much more consistant relief for longer periods of time. You will need to take more Vicodin as it is a weaker drug and you are limited in how many you can take because of the acetaminophen component of that drug.