Do you lose weight on Wellbutrin SR?

Anonymous 4 Jul 2016

I didn't lose weight on wellbutrin sr, but I didn't gain weight. But this is what happened to me: My weight somehow shifted, and I got thicker around the waist. When I quit the wellbutrin, my middle went back to normal. When I started back on the wellbutrin, my middle got bigger again.

Zanymom 4 Jul 2016

I wish I would lose weight on this med. I was told by my doctor it tends to make you hyper and more active and many lose weight on it. I was hoping that was the case because I'd love to lose 20 lbs. I have been doing crossfit for 3 weeks 2-3x per week and I have actually gained a few lbs but hard to tell if it's from meds or gaining muscle or water weight. I have been taking 300mg of Wellbutrin for a couple months now. I always mostly gain weight in my stomach area but I too also noticed that my pants fit tighter and not looser :( I didn't think it might be caused by the meds but after reading the other answer to this ? now I wonder. I'm not sure if this med is helping me either. Also I have noticed alot of headaches and cannot sleep at night well.

Anonymous 4 Jul 2016

I had gained 20 pounds while taking Lexapro. Then I was prescribed Buspar by my doctor for anxiety, which I had never taken before, although I had taken many different antidepressants and benzos in the past. I loved Buspar, although any people say it didn't work for them. I lost 23 pounds while taking it. After that, I started back on wellbutrin, and only gained back a couple of those unwanted pounds, but... I went back up a whole size in my jeans, because of the thickening around my waist from the wellbutrin. I am positive that is what caused it, because it happened to me in the past whenever I started back on my wellbutrin sr, although I didn't really gain weight on it. It just causes edema or "thickening" around the waist area. I had a friend that blew up like a balloon (went up 2 dress sizes) when she took Wellbutrin sr, and also had extreme anxiety while taking it. She takes effexor and loves it.

Anonymous 4 Jul 2016

*any people should be *many people. sorry!

Anonymous 24 Dec 2016

Update on my use of wellbutrin and weight loss/weight gain: I went back on it after this last post of mine. I unfortunately have gone off and on wellbutrin from time to time. Well, this last time when I went back on it, I monitored my weight gain/loss progress. Bottom line - sadly, as of my doctor visit 2 days ago, I have gained back much of the weight that I had lost while only being on buspar. Argh! Muffin top has mushroomed up. So has my blood pressure (I think from the extra weight). I guess you know what my New Year's Resolution will be - no more wellbutrin for me!!! -sad Gmc-

Auroraborealis 21 Dec 2016

Hi myfamily1010! I've always had the same problem of putting on weight on antidepressants, but a couple years ago I was put on a combination of Wellbutrin SR (300), Thymanax 25 at night and Topamax 150, and I lost weight FAST. I'm talking 22 lbs in a month and a half. I went from 125lbs to 103 just like that. My stomach hurt all the time though, it was horrible. At the time I thought it was the Topamax, but as I stopped taking both meds at the same time I never did find out.

I was just put back on Wellbutrin today, so I guess I'll find out if it was that and report back.