Would erythomycin work to clear up pink eye?

Rajive Goel 22 Sep 2011

Yes erythromycin eye ointment could also treat pink eye.

However, please do not self medicate, kindly do seek advice from a optometrist, take care, best wishes.

kkshaw678 22 Sep 2011

thank you :) I had a sty in my eye and they gave me some, was just wondering if it would work.

Rajive Goel 22 Sep 2011

Most welcome, if the doc prescribed the med; it should work well, take care & get well soon!

kkshaw678 22 Sep 2011

thanks

Anonymous 22 Sep 2011

Taking the pills orally will not work as quickly as the ointment for the eyes, make sure your hands are clean before you use the ointment and after, as it is highly contagious, it won't kill you, but it will spread quickly thru your home and work place.

kkshaw678 22 Sep 2011

thank you :) Not sure if it is pink eye, or if it is just irritated from my contacts? Appreciate your input

Anonymous 22 Sep 2011

If it is weepy, crusty and itchy, it probably is pink eye, if it burns more and seems scratched, it might be from the contacts.

kkshaw678 22 Sep 2011

its not so much crusty or weepy but it burns kinda like when your eyes get really dry. I'm gonna see how the erythomycin works for a few days, if it doesn't seem to get better, I will go to the dr. Thanks :)

pup6767 22 Sep 2011

Dear KK... sorry for the delayed response. I just saw this question. You may have already cleared up your sty. I just wanted to give you some helpful info in case this happens again. A sty is completely different from pink eye. A sty is a clogged gland that you have in your eye. You really do not need an antibiotic. Most opthamologists will tell you that warm compresses--- a very warm washcloth (as warm as you can stand it without burning) are the best treatment. Apply the warm compress 5-6 times a day... as much as your time will allow. After the compress massage the sty inward towards your nose to express any of the oils in the gland thus unclogging it. A sty is not an infection.

kkshaw678 22 Sep 2011

Thanks pup... It's not a sty this time that is bothering my eye, but I am not sure if it's pink eye I have. It's possible, but because I wear contacts, I'm almost thinking I have just irritated my eye?? I am going to try the erythomycin for a couple days to see if it helps. I am a stay at home mom, so the staying home thing is easy for me :) Thank you for all your info, it does help :)

pup6767 22 Sep 2011

U r very welcome KK. God bless...