Which would work better for depression, OCD and anxiety? Paxil or Cymbalta?

kaw06 22 Jun 2014

I can onlY tell you what worked well for me. EveryonE responds dIfferently to antidepressants. Cymbalta also works on the brain cheMical norepinephrine, so it "covers more bases."

mulder228 22 Jun 2014

Hi kaw06. So you're saying Cymbalta worked ok for you? I'm only on day 2 of 30 mg. Previously I was on Paxil 40 mg and Klonopin .05 as needed. I know it's too early to tell but I'm really dizzy on Cymbalta and have a nasty headache. What if I were to go back to Paxil 40 mg and add Buspar to it? My doc is pretty open to suggestions so I don't think it'd be a problem but I've heard buspar is a hit or miss. Thanks for your input!!!

kaw06 22 Jun 2014

I would Atleast give it a few more days, the side affects should be subsiding soon.

mulder228 22 Jun 2014

Thanks kaw06. I go back to the doctor on 7/12 for follow up. I would hope by then the side effects are gone or at least very minimal. I just hope it helps with the panic attacks and anxiety.

pamee 22 Jun 2014

Hello mulder228,
Most drugs that help OCD, Depression and Anxiety are antidepressants. Eight of these drugs worked well:
Fluvoxamine (Luvox) fluoxetine (Prozac) sertraline (Zoloft) paroxetine (Paxil) citalopram (Celexa) clomipramine (Anafranil) escitalopram (Lexapro) and venlafaxine (Effexor). Cymbalta and as an add on Abilify helps. Also a newer medication is Brintillix.
I hope this helped. Best to you,
pamee

fayfaith 22 Jun 2014

I take Prozac & klonupin/Clonazepam and so far so good n also take Doxepin/Sinequan. Have been taking Doxepin for years n it helps not just for depression but sleep as well. But as they say... It's different for everyone. Wishing U the best !!!

mulder228 22 Jun 2014

Hi Pamee... thanks for the response. At this point I'm just hoping something works!! This panic attack/anxiety is what's really driving me nuts! Pardon the pun. Just kinda over it after having it since I was a kid. It runs in my family.

mulder228 22 Jun 2014

Hi fayfaith. I've never tried prozac but I do know it's helped a lot of people. If cymbalta doesn't help I plan to ask for prozac. Thanks for your response.

cinzach 25 Jun 2014

Paxil gave me glaucoma, at 40 years young. So sad because it was the only med that helped me with OCD and anxiety.

mulder228 25 Jun 2014

Ok now that's weird. I say that because I was taking Paxil many years ago and stopped it. Soon after that I was diagnosed with glaucoma at age 37!! I never made that connection till I just read your comment. My eye doctor has told me that the kind of glaucoma I have, the medications won't affect it but now I'm wondering if I got it from the Paxil.

cinzach 25 Jun 2014

My eye doc said glaucoma doesn't usually come until your 80's or if it's hereditary. I believe it came from Paxil the best drug I ever had for anxiety, OCD, and depression. Did you have eye surgery?

mulder228 27 Jun 2014

Yes... I've had several procedures. It worse in my left eye than the right but I've had procedures like SLT. Hate having this. I'm sure u do too.

Seems like cymbalta and my heart don't like each other. My heart is racing. I'm probably going to quit taking it. It's been this way since I started taking it a week ago.