Will taking advil along with claritin be harmful?

Anonymous 4 Sep 2011

Interactions between your selected drugs

No results found - however, this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs that your selected drugs interact with

Advil (ibuprofen) interacts with more than 200 other drugs.
Claritin (loratadine) interacts with more than 40 other drugs.

Interactions between your selected drugs and food

loratadine ↔ food minor interaction
Applies to: Claritin (loratadine)
Theoretically, grapefruit juice may increase the plasma concentrations of loratadine as it does other drugs that are substrates of the CYP450 3A4 enzymatic pathway. The proposed mechanism is inhibition of CYP450 3A4-mediated first-pass metabolism in the gut wall by certain compounds present in grapefruits. The clinical significance of this potential interaction is unknown. Reported interactions with potent CYP450 3A4 inhibitors like clarithromycin, erythromycin and ketoconazole have produced substantial increases in the area under the plasma concentration-time curve (AUC) of loratadine and its active metabolite, descarboethoxyloratadine, without associated changes in the overall safety profile of the drug.

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1310-782,1486-898

Take care,

caringsonbj 6 Sep 2011

Maso I do hope all is well (I've been having lots of pain) I will mention one experience that I have had with advil (the RX strength) and that is swelling of the feet and legs this may not happen to the person you were talking to but I mentioned it to the doctor and she told me that this was a possible side effect
Sorry I didn't mean to be rude-