Will poppy seeds fails a drug test for cocaine?

Guero... Could possibly but I don't think anyone could eat that many poppy seeds... beepoo

litlmommag 8 Oct 2011

I have heard of a positive for opium never for cocaine. This is an interesting question I'm intreged. Litlmommag }

I think you have been watching Seinfeld ! I doubt a few poppy seeds would return a positive cocaine result.

It would actually fail you for opioids like morphine if it was going to fail you but Beepoo is right-you would have to eat a LOT of seeds then take the test the same day you ate the poppy seeds. The cut off limits for a positive result are set so that a few poppy seeds like you would find in a bagel or muffin will not set off a positive result but a dose of medication will.

msdeems 8 Oct 2011

Poppy seeds contain both Morphine and Codeine and can cause false positives for Opiates in urine tests. Most Opiate urine tests have a cut off level of 300 ng/ml. Ingestion of a single poppy seed bagel can produce an opiate level somewhere around 250 ng/ml three hours later. 3 teaspoons of store bought poppy seeds can result in 1200 ng/ml 6 hours later (1). We have read an estimate that 70% of DOT opiate positives are from poppy seeds. The U.S. Military uses cut off levels of 3000 ng/ml in order to minimize false positives.