Why Dr. give me propranolol for migraines? Works for a lot of things but I didn,t see migraines?

Anonymous 13 Sep 2011

Propranolol is indicated for the management of various conditions including:
Hypertension
Angina pectoris
Tachyarrhythmias
Myocardial infarction
Control of tachycardia/tremor associated with anxiety, hyperthyroidism or lithium therapy.
Essential tremor
Migraine prophylaxis [1] [2]
Cluster headaches prophylaxis
Tension headache (Off the label use)
Shaky hands
There has been some experimentation in psychiatric areas:[3]
Treating the excessive drinking of fluids in psychogenic polydipsia,[4][5]
Antipsychotic-induced akathisia,[6]
Aggressive behavior of patients with brain injuries[7]
Post-traumatic stress disorder
Glaucoma
Primary exertional headache[8]
While once first-line treatment for hypertension, the role for beta-blockers was downgraded in June 2006 in the United Kingdom to fourth-line as they perform less well than other drugs, particularly in the elderly, and evidence is increasing that the most frequently used beta-blockers at usual doses carry an unacceptable risk of provoking type 2 diabetes.[9]
Propranolol is also used to lower portal vein pressure in portal hypertension and prevent esophageal variceal bleeding.

Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propranolol#Indications

Take care,

DzooBaby 13 Sep 2011

Propranolol is a beta blocker and it does work quite well to prevent migraines. It will not help one underway though. I take Atenolol which is a similar drug for my blood pressure but it has greatly reduced the amount of migraines I get!! I used to get 1-2 every month-now I'm lucky if I get one 1-2 times a year!!! It is great I must say! I hope it works as well for you. Be patient though, it does take a little while to work and it can be subtle. One day you will just realize "hey I havent had a headache in awhile" If you do get one, you will need something to treat the actual migraine like Imitrex or another pain reliever.