Desipramine - Why is this drug so expensive?

Rajive Goel 19 Sep 2011

Could you name the drug/med, please? Thanks

Anonymous 19 Sep 2011

Hey Rajive, I hope they do add the name but if they don't, it is forgottoadditin, get it, forgot-to-add-it-in. So many people are on that.

Rajive Goel 19 Sep 2011

Hey Patti, I agree with you, perhaps people are asleep when they post questions!!!

janemcpherson 19 Sep 2011

SO sorry. I was on the web page for the drug, desipramine, and the drug name was there and thought that it would be part of my question to you. I am currently taking 50mg./day and couldn't believe how expensive it was. I has been around for 30+ years.
Thanks,

Anonymous 19 Sep 2011

There ya are, we were just teasing each other, this happens all the time, so thanks for not being upset with us. Meds are expensive when they still have the patent on them, the patents expire a few years out, like 17 in some cases. If you are having trouble paying for an RX, try to find a webpage on the internet for the medication, it will be under the brand name usually and then.com and if you will go to the page, somewhere on there may be a link saying something like patient assistance program, or here to help or contact us, click those and follow the prompts to ask if there is some financial aid for you. I hope that helps.

Anonymous 19 Sep 2011

And Jane, welcome to the site, you might also try asking for samples at your dr, or letting him/her know of the financial difficulty paying for it, sometimes they will switch you. The pharmacy may know of other local programs to help you pay for it as well. Many people leave the name off because they thought it would just pop in there when they posted, I meant no disrespect at all. Usually they never respond to our plea to list it, you are the exception.

janemcpherson 19 Sep 2011

Thank you so much! Have a great week. Good website!

Rajive Goel 20 Sep 2011

Jane, No offense or disrespect meant at all... take care & welcome to this site.

Rajive Goel 20 Sep 2011

Jane,

Desipramine was first manufactured under the brand name Norpramin -- and is made by Sanofi-Aventis. However, it has come off patent and is now available as a generic.

Generic Norpramin tablets are available in the following strengths: Desipramine 10 mg, Desipramine 25 mg, Desipramine 50 mg, Desipramine 75 mg, Desipramine 100 mg, & Desipramine 150 mg tablets.

Generic Norpramin is made by the following manufacturers: Amide Pharmaceuticals, Sandoz Pharmaceuticals, Watson Pharmaceuticals.

You could seek medical advice from the doc to prescribe a suitable generic which perhaps should be less expensive.

Do let me know, please.