Why is there a generic name but not a generic pill fo Celebrex?

oneinamillion92 23 Jan 2012

There is a generic name for celbrex which is its chemical name but it is not avalable as celbrex is still under FDA pattent. When a drug company puts a new drug on the market the FDA give them 17 years of market monopoly to recoop their cost of research. This give drug companies an incentive to research and find new better medication.

Rajive Goel 24 Jan 2012

The first patent for Celebrex expires in May 2014. It was initially expected to expire in 2013, but Pfizer was granted an extension to perform much-needed studies in children. May 2014 is now the earliest predictable date that a generic version of Celebrex could become available. However, other circumstances could extend or shorten this period, such as lawsuits or other patents for specific uses.

Once the patent expires, several companies may begin manufacturing a generic Celebrex drug.

FloridaDad 8 Aug 2012

I wanted to add that you could get some help if you are having an issue affording Celebrex. There are patient assistance programs in place to help people who have an issue paying for their meds.
There are a couple of websites I use regularly to help those I work with--
1. FreeMedPrograms.com- They list patient assistance programs, plus they will let you know if you meet enrollment qualifications.
2. I also recommend MedicationCoupons.com. They are a great resource for rx and otc medication coupons. Go here- www.medicationcoupons.com/celebrex_coupon

I hope this helps!!