Why does atenolol make my pulse so low?

JohnySmith 24 Feb 2010

becuase it is a beta blockers which works by blocking beta receptors in the heart tissue and thus prevents the effects of adrenaline on the heart. This action helps to reduce heart rate

shirl621 24 Feb 2010

But how low is to low? It has been down in the 40s, Ive been on it for years and it started doing this about 6 months ago, guess its time I ask my doc. to take me off it and put me on something else, right? also I feel real tired and sluggish too.

JohnySmith 26 Feb 2010

Yes, if heart rate is less than 40 it is not good, you should ask your doctor you to choose another one medication for you, if you treat hypertension, ACE inhibitors and AGII blockers can be useful for you

itsmetoo2 25 Feb 2010

I take atenolol because of fast pulse rate. It slows the pulse rate down. You need to talk to your doctor, to see if low is too low for you.