When can I stop taking tegretal xr if I have had no seizures for 2 years?

Anonymous 15 Jan 2011

May i ask what you are taking it for? best to taper off with ur doctors approval so you dont have withdrawals or a seizure from stopping it to soon
i was on neurontin seizure med for couple months after stopping xanax and i tapered every month and i had decided i was going to stop it myself ended up having partical seizures so becareful everyone is diff and meds can do diff things to people.

Marvell 16 Jan 2011

As far as I know in most cases patients take these long term to keep the seizures under control. Please discuss with your doctor if you are able to stop taking Tegretol.

teresatylersims 18 Jan 2011

I agree, you should discuss this with your doctor, I have been taking meds for a only a year but once I ran out and the program I am in takes two weeks to get a refill, long story short, I started having seizures again. So please tred carefully.