Spironolactone, also called Aldactone, works in two ways for hair loss:
1. It reduces the production of androgen type hormones by the adrenal gland and the ovary
2. It blocks androgen receptors
For hair loss, the drug is only used for women. It helps stop hair loss in 30 % and improves hair density in 30 %
The drug causes irregular periods in 80% of users who use the drug without a birth control pill. The drug must never be used during pregnancy.
Jeff Donovan MD PhD FRCPC FAAD
US & Canadian board-certified Dermatologist
- Spironolactone Information for Consumers
- Spironolactone Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Spironolactone (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 9 May 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 20 Jan 2013 • 18 answers
Posted 28 Sep 2015 • 3 answers
Spironolactone - I'm having this Hair loss side effect after I start using it, loss over 500 hair p?
Posted 20 Jun 2017 • 1 answer
Posted 6 Jul 2017 • 2 answers