Whats the difference between a 30oc and a 30 op oxycontin?

christineATU 3 Sep 2010

From what I understand, Purdue manufactered the Op to be more tamper proof. The active ingredients are the same but harder to crush and abuse. The OC version is being phased out and being replaced with the OP when pharmacies reorder them. Many people are complaining they do not work as well on pain. Unfortunately, not much can be done about this. If they are not working for you, please let your doctor know and maybe they could prescribe a good alternative. My best wishes, chris

Anonymous 3 Sep 2010

You are very right Chris, the op can not be broken, crushed,etc, in order for people not to abuse them.

terilyn54 4 Sep 2010

To my knowledge, there is no 30mg extended release oxycontin, there's a 40mg & 80mg. The Oxycontin with the OC on one side are not produced any longer. The new version ,OP stands for Oxycontin Purdue & when a pharmacy has to reorder any strength of Oxycontin, they will automatically receive the new OP version. They will not have a choice. They changed the chemical compound (none of the actual drug was removed) by adding something that would make it nearly impossible for people to abuse it. They were abusing the drug by crushing it to snort, dissolving to inject or chewing them to get a maximum high. That's the good news. The bad news is that whatever they added to it has changed how well it works & how long it lasts. Let me know what you experience when you get the new ones, please.