What is the largest dose of Effexor medication that can be taken?

WildcatVet 5 Oct 2017

*The recommended starting dose for Effexor is 75 mg/day, administered in two or three divided doses, taken with food. Depending on tolerability and the need for further clinical effect, the dose may be increased to 150 mg/day. If needed, the dose should be further increased up to 225 mg/day. When increasing the dose, increments of up to 75 mg/day should be made at intervals of no less than 4 days. In outpatient settings there was no evidence of usefulness of doses greater than 225 mg/day for moderately depressed patients, but more severely depressed inpatients responded to a mean dose of 350 mg/day. Certain patients, including more severely depressed patients (inpatient), may therefore respond more to higher doses, up to a maximum of 375 mg/day, generally in three divided doses.*

chuck1957 5 Oct 2017

Wildcat has it perfect; but with all I have seen in the real world is most doctors do not go over 275 and in a very rare case 300mg it takes to long to change the patient if this dose does not work. Good luck chuck1957

amaraeuq 7 Oct 2017

Sadly i can answer this . 325mg. But i have met people that their doc / shrink have put on muuuuchh higher doses. Im canada anyway. If its not working at 325 ..well?

Carriedeedee 21 Oct 2017

I am on Effexor and have been for over 6 year's. The normal dose that doctors start thier patients at is 37.5mg, they will gradually increase this amount as needed. The absolute maximum they permit is 300mg per/day. After 300mg the drug is considered not to have any difference then you get at 300mg. I hope you find this answer helpful. Best of Luck to You

Lynn 351 21 Oct 2017

I have finally built up the courage to go up to 75mg XL.,after being on 37.5 for 25 days. I always am fearful of an increase after my experience with zoloft. If you do get side effects again when does it happen, after a day or a few and is it has bad as the initial ones? It definitely has started working at this low dose, but I know I need to go up to the therapeutic dose. Does anyone else fear a dose increase?