Skip to Content

What will a pain management doctor prescribe for bulging and herniated disks?

Question is Closed
Report Favorite

Answers (2)

6 Sep 2011

All depends on the Dr. For me, not much. I've been getting the run around from drs for years. The last one I went to seemed to actually care the most out of any of them and he's a pain management Dr/ spine specialist. But all I've gotten so far is Daypro ( a strong anti inflammatory) and a new muscle relaxant that I've never tried because I've had no success with all the other ones I've tried.

Votes: +0
litlmommag 7 Sep 2011

Your honesy is very reassuring to me my advise to you is to find a differnt pain specialist you don't owe a bill to sme hospitals have pain management clinics now they have prgrams that g by your income and they give assistance to help you with the bills they can't refuse you then you should atleast be able to get the shots my shots in my back are cortizone but he said there is another additive to boost the shots and he gives me lidacan patches they really do help I hope this helps you good luck

IhearttheOcean 7 Sep 2011

Thanks for your response. Yea ill probably end up having to find another Dr which sucks because this is already the second one I've been to in my area so I don't want anyone to think I'm Dr shopping or anything like that. The first one was just a real jerk and not helpful or understanding at all. I read online afterwards and found reviews about local drs which 90% of ppl said the same thing about him so I realized it wasn't just me so that's when I decided to find a new one. So I picked the one with the best reviews and went to him. Unfortunately he's really busy so they said id have to see another Dr within his practice. The one I saw was a lot better than my other one but still not what I was hoping for.

IhearttheOcean 7 Sep 2011

Oh and yea the shots id be getting are the same as you were describing. Apparently there's a numbing agent in there as well. I've never heard about the patches but ill have to check into it because id like to try that. I regularly use the otc patches like icy hot and ones like that and they help some so I'm sure one with lidocaine would definitely help. Thanks for the encouragement and ideas.

6 Sep 2011

Yes. It is very hard to say. It depends on the Dr and also what all you have already tried. they might start you out on a stronger NSAID-something stronger than what you get OTC or maybe an anticonvulsant or antidepressant medication as some of them have shown to be of use in chronic pain or they may start you on a mild short acting opioids and/or a muscle relaxant. If you have already tried the stronger NSAIDS and short acting opioids they may try a long acting opioid. They may also want to try epidural injections, nerve blocks, facet joint injections, physical therapy of some sort or other, massage, chiropractic therapy and manipulation and there are a few other treatments they may suggest. Be sure you bring records with you of what you have already tried so he doesnt start for square one if you have been treating with a PCP before now. Be open to non drug therapies and also to non opioid drug therapies. Give all suggestions a try and be patient. It sometimes takes a bit of trial and error bfore you hit on the right combo to treat your pain.

Votes: +2

Search for questions

Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.

Similar Questions

Bulging disks in lower back?

I just got an e-mail from my doctor that my last MRI showed 2 bulging disks in my lower back. Any body have this? My doctor as I've said before ...

12 answers 19 Jan 2011

What if any kind of therapy can be used to releave pain for bulging & herniated disc's?

... diagnosed with a bulging and a herniated disc in my lower back

3 answers 2 Sep 2011

Lower back pain, fifth different doctor?

I herniated my L4 about five years ago and it has gotten worse. Proof of that is I now have a bulging L5 and I have been very careful. I went into er ...

7 answers 15 Jan 2013

How often should you have an MRI done if you have bulging discs?

My neurologist wants to do another MRI on my back. He was surprised to learn that my pain management doctor has not ordered a more recent MRI. I have ...

1 answer 30 Oct 2013

What to expect from a pain management doctor first visit?

I have 7 herniated disks and DDD

4 answers 3 Nov 2013