Are there any drugs that have helped reduce the craving/obsession of using methamphetamines?
I've heard that Ritalin helps... ok, sorry - totally inapropriate... but really, I have heard that anitdepressants help with cocaine, and I know that they're different drugs, but would imagine that they could possibly help in the same way...
"Antidepressants can be given to patients to reduce these symptoms. Studies show that the antidepressant drug desipramine can reduce cocaine craving. As a result, it can help a patient to remain abstinent from cocaine. In one study, cocaine use declined several weeks before cocaine craving was reduced. Another study suggested that the antidepressant drug venlafaxine may be an effective treatment for patients who suffer from both depression and cocaine dependence."
- Desipramine - is an old TCA
- Venlafaxine - is also known as Effexor (I actually take it as an antidepressant) It's in the class of SNRI's and is probably safer than the Desipramine simply due to the TCA's ability to mess with your heart.
Not the most scholarly source, but I've heard this same info before... Sorry about the lingo and terms like TCA and SNRI, but if you look online, wikipedia can explain the differences better than what I could.
Hope that this is of some help,
- Methamphetamine Information for Consumers
- Methamphetamine Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Methamphetamine (detailed)
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Posted 11 Feb 2010 • 2 answers
I started 24 mg of Suboxone/daily 3 years ago for "cravings" by psyhciatrist. Want to get off -help?
Posted 14 Aug 2010 • 5 answers
Posted 27 Oct 2010 • 6 answers
Posted 20 Feb 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 10 Mar 2011 • 2 answers