What medication may work best for alcohol detox. Chlordiazepoxide 25mg or Alprazolam 0.5mg?

Rajive Goel 1 Sep 2011

Perhaps, anxiety or alcohol withdrawal may benefit from chlordiazepoxide. It works by enhancing the calming effects of a certain brain chemical, which causes muscles to relax, reduces anxiety, and causes sleepiness.

Alprazolam is a medication that is licensed for the treatment of anxiety and panic disorder. It can help cause sleepiness, reduce anxiety, and relax muscles by enhancing the effects of a naturally calming brain chemical.

However, best would be to seek the advice of a doc, please stay well & safe.

Best wishes!

anna25rene 26 Sep 2011

I don't know anything personaly about alcahol detox. But I was doing some research on seizures and xanax and came across some info that said that valium is used for alcahol detox, seizures and anxiety. I am currently taking 4 MGs of alprazolam (generic xanax) a day. But I have had 4 seizures this year with no previous seizures (FRIGGIN SCARY!). So, I know my reasearch had nothingto do with alcahol detox but I hope my answer helped. Good luck and best wishes to ya!!!