What kind of sickness would turn your tongue white looking?

Anonymous 5 Aug 2010

White tongue: White spots and patches or coating of the tongue are a symptom of several medical conditions:

Antibiotics side effect

Oral candidiasis-is an infection of yeast fungi of the genus Candida on the mucous membranes of the mouth.

Dehydration

Leukoplakia- is a clinical term used to describe patches of keratosis. It is visible as adherent white patches,on the mucous membranes of the oral cavity, including the tongue, but also other areas of the gastro-intestinal tract, urinary tract and the genitals.

Keratosis pharyngis-medical condition where keratin (refers to a family of fibrous structural proteins), grows on the surface of the pharynx, that is the part of the throat at the back of the mouth

Jaundice - causes a yellow tongue "Lie Bumps" - small dots usually on tip of tongue

Glossitis (tongue inflammation)

Hypoglossia - congenitally short tongue

I hope this helps you and please contact a doctor, better safe than sorry

beanmarie 5 Aug 2010

Hi, this is something I get frequently. If it just like a white coating on your tongue, accompanied by some soreness, it very probably is a fungal infection called thrush. Babies get it often (usually showing as a bad diaper rash), but adults do get it more than most people know. It usually follows having taken antibiotics for some reason, infection or whatever. It is not dangerous, just gets really sore if you don't treat it. I am treated with "mycelex" tabs. You put one in your mouth and let it dissolve on your tongue, five times a day. Relief comes quickly, but you must take it until the thrush is gone, making sure to follow your doctor's orders. This is just one thing it could be. Maso is right, it could be indicative of other problems, so this is something you want to get checked out. I hope this works out for you ok. If you have just taken antibiotics recently, it probably is thrush, so don't worry, just get it checked out soon. God bless... I am beanmarie