Acomplia (rimonabant) is an anti-obesity drug. It was approved for marketing in the European Union in June 2006. Rimonabant is not yet approved for use in the United States, where it is known as Zimulti.
* Acomplia (rimonabant) is the first in a new class of therapeutic agents called Cannabinoid-1 Receptor Blockers (CB1).
* Acomplia is used in the treatment of obesity and related conditions.
* Acomplia acts by selectively blocking CB1 receptors found in the brain and in peripheral organs important in glucose and lipid (or fat) metabolism, including adipose tissue, the liver, gastrointestinal tract and muscle1.
* Acomplia switches off the same brain circuits that make people hungry when they smoke cannabis.
* CB1 receptor blockade with Acomplia acts to decrease the overactivity of the endocannabinoid system (EC system)2,3. The EC system is a recently characterised physiological system that includes receptors such as the CB1 receptor and it has been shown to play an important role in regulating body weight and in controlling energy balance, as well as glucose and lipid (or fat) metabolism.
* Acomplia is used complementary to diet and exercise to treat obese or overweight patients who suffer from Type 2 diabetes and abnormal levels of fat in the blood.
* Sanofi argues that Acomplia can also prevent the risk of cardiovascular disease.
* Patients with large waist circumference (102 cm in men and 88 cm in women) will mostly benefit from taking the drug.
* Acomplia has been studied by sanofi-aventis as an aid to smoking cessation based on studies for up to one year in over 6,500 smokers motivated to quit smoking.
* Sanofi-aventis submitted a New Drug Application to the FDA, which in turn issued a non approvable letter for Acomplia for use in smoking cessation. An approvable letter was however issued for Acomplia for use in weight management.
Sanofi is still awaiting U.S. marketing go-ahead which it has said could come by the end of this year.
Hope the info is of help?
Search for questions
Still looking for answers? Try searching for what you seek or ask your own question.
Smoking Cessation - Anyone out there thinking about quitting smoking? I'll quit today, especially if
Posted 2 Jan 2011 • 1 answer
Posted 21 Apr 2012 • 1 answer
Posted 13 May 2013 • 1 answer
Smoking Cessation - Today is the day I decided to quit smoking!!! I'm on the patch but my arm is red
Posted 5 Nov 2013 • 2 answers
Posted 21 Aug 2014 • 2 answers