What is the purpose of using a prescribed vaginal cream to go along w/the patch?

Marvell 22 May 2010

It's difficult to say why you have been given the extra vaginal cream with the patch as I'm not sure how severe your symptoms are/were and if it was controlled with just the patch. Your doctor might be thinking that by using both of these your symptoms will be controlled. Please discuss with your doctor.

have4paws 10 Dec 2010

Vaginal cream in addition to oral hormones or patch use is done when the hormones are not reaching the vaginal tissue directly enough and there is atrophy. Using the cream applies the hormones directly. Otherwise tissues will thin and can even bleed from intercourse. I have to use the Climara patch as well as Estring, it is a ring somewhat like a diaphragm but it is filled with slow release hormones and applies direct contact to the vaginal tissues with the needed hormones. I use this as opposed to the cream which I find messy and yucky feeling but it is the same premise.